Letters home from the battlefield

william42

First Sergeant
Camp near Dalton
April the 25th/64

Dear Sister:

I received you[r] letter the day I wrote to Sallie and was very glad to hear that you all [were] well. I would of answered your letter sooner, but as I am scarce of paper, I thought I wouldn't write. General [Joseph E.] Johnston had a grand review of his army last Monday [April 18]. Lieut [Harvey] Shannon [the Battery's commander], excused me from going out with the company and I went out as a spectator [and] took my stand right by Gen. Johnston, and Gen. Hardee's wife and daughters. I never saw so many men in my life. I got tired looking [at them], and went back to camp. I reckon you would like to know if Gen. Hardee's daughters are pretty. I don't think so. If you think Miss Anna Person is pretty, Miss Hardee is pretty also. Miss Hardee is about the size of Miss C. Trenton, and has a figure somthing like Miss C. Trenton; the elder one I am speaking of. [The] young one is not as pretty as the elder one. You said Miss Julia Barnett felt slighted by not receiving a note from Lieut. Shannon. He told me to tell Miss Barnett that he expected to thank her in person; that is he expected to get a furlough and come down there. He also said that he thought [there] was a great deal of impropriety in writing to a school girl.

We expect to have stirring times up here soon. Gen. J. is throwing up breastworks here. The Yankee prisoners say they think we will whip them in the next fight. Our army is in fine spirits. I expect to go over to see Bud tomorrow or the next day. Tell Webster and Forrest they must take good care of my puppy, and all of you must take good care of my chickens. I must go over to the guard house now as I am on guard. I will write when I come back.

I have just returned from guard mount and will take time to write. Gen. Shoup [Brig. Gen. Francis A. Shoup, Chief of Artillery, Army of Tennessee] wanted to turn our battery into a Parrott battery, but as he wanted to give us some guns that had been used, Lieut. Shannon would not take them. Captain [Charles] Swett [the former battery commander] is acting inspector general of artillery, and Lieut. S. takes command of our battery. Semple's Battery from Montgomery is in our battalion, [Maj. Thomas R. Hotchkiss' battalion], and there are some very nice boys in it. Powell is in that company. I went over to the 19th Louisiana yesterday and saw Sam ****ins. He is well, and says he has not got a letter from home in a long time. Give my love to Ma & Sallie & the n*ggers; Bill & Prince as well. I remain your affectionate brother,

J.P. Graves
from Warren County, Mississippi, of Swett's Warren Mississippi Battery,
Major General Patrick Cleburne's Division of Lt. Gen. William J. Hardee's Corps, Army of Tennessee

From the document collection of Wiley Sword, published in Winter, 2008 edition of "Blue & Gray" magazine. Spelling, punctuation corrected, and brackets added by staff of "Blue & Gray".

(Letter from Robert Hudson of the 133rd Indiana in Bridgeport, Alabama to his nephew John R. Miller serving in the 123rd Indiana.)

Headquarters
133 Reg. Ind.
Bridgeport, Ala
July 13th, 1864

Dear Nephew,
I have just seen Cap. Cowgil & learned where I could reach you by a letter. I was much pleased to hear your Captain speak so favorably of you as a brave soldier. Indeed he speaks in the highest terms of you. Don't be rash do your duty as a soldier, but don’t necessarily expose yourself. Many a brave man has loss his life by an unnecessary exposure of his person. Be brave but not reclesly, dashing but prudent, heroic but always exercising sound judgement & discretion.

I have been here, at this port, for near two months, in command of the 133 Reg. one hundred days men. I will be in Chattanooga in a few days and will try & get down to the front. However this is very uncertain.

We leave here, on our return home about the middle of August & in the mean time, I hope to get a letter from you. But if you do not get this soon, direct to Terre Haute, for I will be there after September.

I do not forget the talk we had when I last saw you & in proper time will exert all the influence I have in your favor.
Hoping you are well, and will continue well, I remain
Your uncle,
R. Hudson

http://www.civilwararchive.com/LETTERS/hudson.htm

I do not know how many on this forum had gotten a chance to read Sword's new book Courage Under Fire but if not, I recommend it. This letter hits a point he talked on, how by the time this letter was written, men were encouraged not to engage in foolhardy acts and to not needlessly expose themselves to enemy fire. One can definitely see a diffence in attitudes between the first two years of the war and the last two in the words that these brave men penned to one another and to their loved ones at home.

Thanks for providing that observation, J Man. The excitement that got the volunteer in the first place was not necessarily the same excitement the volunteer was feeling two years later.

You've read Chandra Manning's, "What this Cruel War was Over"? She does a nice job of painting the soldier from beginning to end. Johnny and billy in early 1861 were not the same Johnny and Billy in 1864.

Thanks for the input.

ole

Haven't gotten to read Manning's book yet, but it is on the "Too Read" list. Seeing as it was a runner up for the Lincoln, IIRC, it must be a good one. Have to get through Donald's Lincoln first. And the list of things to read is a looooooong one.

Have to get through Donald's Lincoln first. And the list of things to read is a looooooong one.
Gots to have more than one lined up. Five is better. Close to 20 is about normal. Too many books; so little time.

ole

In the summer of 1862 it became ever more obvious to President Lincoln that the war was going to go on longer than anyone had imagined. It became necessary to increase the size of his army to deal with the unexpected rebel tenacity. A call was issued for 300,000 men to fight for the Union, and on August 15th, Alexander Slagg, brother Joseph, and cousin Edward "Ezra" Slagg signed up in Madison, Wisconsin for a three year tour of duty. Brother Arnold Slagg, recently married to Hannah Barton in 1860, also enlisted to complete the enrollment of a company being formed in Fulton, but which was short of its quota. He walked to Janesville to join the company, but found it had become complete and then had to walk home - a distance of roughly 10 miles. Being patriotic to his land of adoption, he enlisted a second time, but was rejected because of poor health. Cousin Thomas Slagg, son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Clark) Slagg, had enlisted in April of 1861 in Company K of the Third Wisconsin Volunteers. On August 30, 1862, Alex, Joseph, Ezra, and the seven companies of the 23rd Wisconsin Volunteers were mustered at Camp Randall in Madison, were paid their $25.00 bounty, and awaited their orders.

Lexington October 29th 1862

Dear father I take up my pen to Write a few lines to you hoping They will find you well as they leave Me at present for I have just swallowed Two cups of coffee & two crackers and And a big peice of pork to digest. I was put in the rear guard yester Day and a bonny time i had for For we marched twenty miles from Paris to lexington and we had to pick Up all the stragglers so i guess i traveled Thirty miles for we have fresh beef And I tell you it was a joke. I would like to know what kind Of weather you have in wisconsin For in the 26th we had about Three inches of snow in kentucky. And mighty cold at that i guess. We shall get seasoned be the time We get through we are just getting Into the flavor of the state and And a nice part it is corn in Abundance hep and seet potatoes Seems to be the princaple run here But their is one thing that looks Rather queer to me that is you Go into a house you see about A dozen negroes round one table In the kitchen and the white folks In the parlor but they seem to Live well and they seem content. Tell Arnold i should like to know If he has got that small tree Sawed in two yet that we left Last winter on marsdens peice. Give him my best respect and Hannah and all bartins folks. Tell henry that if i live to Come back i going to fetch him And me a [*?*] wench a peice. We received Margrets letter to day And we a sorry to hear that She is sick but tell her not To get discouraged for i guess Tom will get better soon give My best respect to john & hannah And harriet & John Slater tell Them i will write to them as Soon as i can tell tom i should Like to know how he gets along With is thrashing and i like to how crops turns out this year i shall write Now as fast as i can get time Father i hope your crops turns out Good so that you will be able to Take your comfort in your Old age i should like to know If Willy as got home yet tell Him i guess i shall not have Time to go up their this fall to fetch him down i guess he'll Find the way home Tell John Slater he will have to Excuse me going up their to Mineral dig this winter but if i Have good luck we will try it Next winter we will try to get rich in 1863 insted of 1862 We have not had a squat With the rebels yet for they Can out run us like smoke But i think its likely we shal Stand a chance before the Broil is over but i dont think It will be in kentucky for They we out number them To much some says were going to tenesee some To louisville and some to georgestown but i they dont know but theirs one thing sertain were going Some where

Excuse my poor Blunders For its the first letter I ever wrote I will try To do better next time
Alexander Slagg

flag1sm.jpg

Letter #2: To Margaret, from Edward Slagg, ca. 10/29/1862

Dear Cousin Margret. I will take time to write a few lines to you hoping it will find you enjoying that great blessing health. You said in your to Joe that the sunday school had commenced on the Prarrie. I was very glad to hear that. I have fancied I have seen you about ten oclock going upon the Prarrie on Hank to school. I have heard you in immagination singing those good old hyms and wondered who your teachers were. I know you go has often has you can. I have spent many happy hours in old Chapel. Cousin persist and persevere in so good a cause. There is no excellence without great labor. You have not had so a chance has some but their is better times coming. Cousin keep up your spirits. While I am writing Joe is lying on my right Alex on my left they are laughing and joking with our comrades. The report is that we shall take up our winter here but I do not know wether it is true or not. I should like to receive a letter from you Margret. I remain your affectionate Cousin

Edward Slagg

Civil War Letter of 2nd Lieut. John. D. Damron

2nd Lieut.John D. Damron, of the 49th NCT, Co. K was born in Smith County, Virginia and resided in Clevelans County where he was by occupation a farmer prior to enlisting in Lincoln County at age 30, March 15, 1862. Appointed 2nd Lt. on July 10th, 1862. resigned on December 22, 1862, because "another man has been made 1st Lt. over me and I have had not had the chance to be promoted by seniority and have not been examined to test my competency". Resignation accepted on Jan 6 1863. [other records on file indicate that he was a "good officer in every respect except that he will whenever he can get it liquor to excess". May have served later as a private in company C, 59th NCT(4th Reg't. Cavlry).]

Fredericksburg, Va.
Dec. 17th, 1862

Dear Father,
I had concluded that I could not write to you any more until I had received a letter from home. But, I came to the conclusion that this course of procedure bid fair to cut off all communication whatever. As I have given up all idea of receiving a scaratch from your very reserved pen. You certainly should be appointed Superintendent over some asylum of mutes, as I verily believe your experience in such matters would be highly beneficial to such an intitution.

We have had another great Battle at this place resulting in a decisive victory for the Confederate Army. Fredericksburg was shelled on Thursday 11th Dec. On Friday there was little done, except a continual fire of artillery. On Saturday the battle oppined (sic) early in the morning on the right of our lines. Where Old Stone-fence commanded, 15 min. before 11 A.M. the Battle commenced near and around the city. The small arms made one continual roar without a moment's cessarion from 15 before 11 until dark. Our position was splendid.

It is said we were attacked by 40,000 Federals at this point. Whilst our force which opposed them did not amount to one 4th of that number. there were about 30 acres covered with ------(illegable line due to fold in letter) ------- very small. tis said that we repulsed them 17 different times, each charge being made with overwhelming numbers. Their loss is estimated at 20,000 in killed & wounded, whilst ours will not exceed 2500. 500 of which was killed. Most of our killed was on the right where Stone- fence fought them. The slaughter on the right is said to exceed anything of the war. If it was greater than around the city, it must have been awful. Near the city we lost Generals Cobb of GA & Maxwell Gregg of ALA. The Federals loss in killed may be fairly estimated at 6000. 14,000 wounded & about 3000 prisoners. I understand Burnside has reopened the river to its northern bank, removing their pontoon bridges 5 in number & withdrawing their troops from view. Only a few remaining in sight. What will be Burnsides next move is not known. But, supposed that he will try Port Royal on the Rappahonock some 50 miles from this place down the river. There are various conjectures. He will be closely watched by Gen. Lee, who has the entire confidence of the Southern Army. Our army is in fine condition & went into the fight on Saturday with perfect cheerfulness. This was the best (strgling???) ever known. every man stood to his post & fought bravely. I narrowly escaped being killed by the explosion of a shell.

I have not anything more that would interest you. Col McAffee is well, & etc. Ellison. Black was wounded in the head by a ball or piece of shell & is now on his way to Richmond. His wound is not serious. He may be home before long. I have not received the clothing mother sent me. The boxes were sent here from Richmond the day we were ordered to the battlefield & we could not get them. Some were sent back & some are scattered every where. We will probably never see them. Tell sister Ann I got that letter she wrote me last week, but my eyes were so bad that I could not make out anything that was not in it. Tell Sallie to write. She owes me one. All of you write, or you may consider this my last. I never expect to get home again at all. Furloughs are out of date. They would sell for 500. Money is worth nothing & nothing is worth everything. My love to all & little Gill especially.

Your son, affectionally,
Jno D. Dameron

Civil War Letter From John Bennett

Richmond, Va.
March 1st, 1862

My Dear Genl

The accompanying ring is the work of Thompson Sivghner, Esq., a private in the 25th Regt. of Virginia volunteers. The material out of which it was made is the root of a tree at Camp Alleghany, where the sanguinary battle of the 15th of Dec. was fought and glowingly won by a gallantry unsurpassed in the history of the present war. This root was selected by a reason of the mournful circumstance of having been watered by the blood of an officer who fell upon it mortally wounded, and who died like a soldier, beloved and venerated by all under his command. That officer was our brother, Capt. Anderson. No picuniary consideration would induce me to part with this ring, as the man whose name was designed to the commemorative by it was cherished by all Western Virginians and indeed by all who knew him; but considering the higher claims which you possess, I have concluded to send it to you with but one consideration, and that is, if Capt. Anderson has a widow , a daughter, or a son, that you deliver it to one of them as a token of the enduring and affectionate regard which a private soldier entertains for the noblest and most genuine specimen of mankind.

Yours most truly,
Jn Bennett

Civil War Letter From John Bennett

Richmond, Va.
March 1st, 1862

My Dear Genl

The accompanying ring is the work of Thompson Sivghner, Esq., a private in the 25th Regt. of Virginia volunteers. The material out of which it was made is the root of a tree at Camp Alleghany, where the sanguinary battle of the 15th of Dec. was fought and glowingly won by a gallantry unsurpassed in the history of the present war. This root was selected by a reason of the mournful circumstance of having been watered by the blood of an officer who fell upon it mortally wounded, and who died like a soldier, beloved and venerated by all under his command. That officer was our brother, Capt. Anderson. No picuniary consideration would induce me to part with this ring, as the man whose name was designed to the commemorative by it was cherished by all Western Virginians and indeed by all who knew him; but considering the higher claims which you possess, I have concluded to send it to you with but one consideration, and that is, if Capt. Anderson has a widow , a daughter, or a son, that you deliver it to one of them as a token of the enduring and affectionate regard which a private soldier entertains for the noblest and most genuine specimen of mankind.

Yours most truly,

Jn Bennett

Back