Letters from Captain George Wooding, Danville (Va) Artillery: September 23, 1862

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!

White Flint Bill

Oct 9, 2017
Southern Virginia
Here's the next of the series of letters I've been sharing here from time to time.

Martinsburg, Va. Sept. 23, 1862

Dear Pa

Harry passed my camp this morning left your letter for me. I was absent at the time and did not see him. He, with several other members of his company was in search of his regiment.

Since last I wrote you at Sheppardstown, our army has recrossed the Potomac and is now encamped along the river, from Williamsport to Harper's Ferry. Martinsburg is, I think, about the center of our lines. I have heard nothing of the enemy since we moved up the river from Sheppardstown.

Since the fight at Manassas, Buck, Samuel, Burton, Owen, Arthur, Royster and John Prewitt have returned to duty with their company. Mansfield Crawley also returned, and was painfully wounded at Sharpsburg Maryland. So was Wat Anglea. Corporal Wells returned and was killed in the late battle. Sam Prewitt died of his wounds the day after the battle. Shelton, Thomas and Minnis are at the hospital at Middleburg, which I think is in Fauquier Co, Va. I heard from them a day or two ago. They were doing well. James Gosney of my company is there with them. Walter Baker was killed about sundown on the evening of the 28th August. He was struck by a grape shot, just behind the left ear causing instant death. After the battle had ceased for the night I carried four or five men to the spot where he fell and had him carried off some distance to the rear. He was subsequently buried under the direction of Lt. Jones, who doubtless properly marked his grave. I sent his money (about $60) home by Capt. Samuel Williams.

Sergt William Keesee, wounded at Sharpsburg, has since died. He was left in a hospital on the Maryland side of the river, in charge of this brother Peyton. I have not yet heard what disposition was made of the body.

Nat Anglea, Mansfield Crawley and Thomas Wells were wounded at Sharpsburg and have been sent to Winchester. Those slightly wounded are still in camp. Sergt Rice of my battery, wounded at Manassas, is a son of Dr. Rice, who many years ago lived in Pittsylvania. A daughter of this old man married Roger A. Pryor. Sergt. Rice has gone to his father's in Amherst County. James E. Galloway has doubtless gone home. The last I heard of him he was on his way there. Worley has returned to his company. I have still some fifty men for duty, and can work effectively two guns. I do not think this campaign can last in this section of the state more than sixty days longer, after which I hope to be able to recruit and repair damages my battery has suffered.

Tell Mr. Bryant that I received his letter stating that the held and order on me, from Snead for $60. I have no funds in my hands belonging to Snead and the government owed him some twelve or fifteen dollars. The amount, I have no objection to paying over to Mr. Bryant.

Remember me to all the family.

Yours affectionately
George W. Wooding
Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!