Letters from Captain George Wooding, Danville (Va) Artillery: October 1, 1862

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

White Flint Bill

Sergeant
Camp Near Bunker Hill, Berkeley Co Va. October 1, 1862

Dear Pa

Having an opportunity of sending a letter home, I avail myself of the chance and hastily address you these lines.

Mr. Shelton of Ringgold reached my camp last evening. He came for William Keesee's body, which I see no probability of his getting. He will doubtless leave for home in a day or two. Lieutenants Adams and Dickinson will also probably visit Danville in a short time. By one or the other of these gentlemen, I will send this letter. By one of them I will also send you some writing paper which I captured at Manassas Junction. This article of convenience and necessity I take for granted is like all other conveniences and necessities, somewhat scarce and difficult to obtain.

By an enclosed order (which is an exact copy of the original one) you will see that another Battery (Capt. Rice) has been added to mine, and the command of the new Battery thus formed given to me. By this arrangement Lieuts Adams and Dickinson will for present be relieved from duty with me and be assigned to some other duty, of what character I am not yet informed.

The Battery thus formed consists of about two hundred men and the most improved guns. It is beyond doubt the finest Battery in this Division. There were several reasons for the consolidation of these companies of artillery, a prominent one was the fact of mine having been severally cut to pieces in the many engagements in which it has participated and more especially at Manassas and Sharpsburg. Another one was that Capt. Rice had a large company, which had rendered little or no service during the present year and doubtless because too, whilst Capt. Rice was a gentle man and a kind and amiable man, he was in no respect fitted to command a company which was effected to render active and efficient service. The appointment of myself to this command can be considered very complimentary to me, when it is remembered that Capt. Rice was my senior by one year, his commission being that much older than mine. I regret very much to have Adams taken from me. Whilst in many respects he is unlearned and illiterate, yet he has ever been most attentive and diligent in the discharge of his duties and in every instance proven most reliable and trustworthy.

Jones hold his position as a 1st Lieutenant, the other Lieutenant having been taken from Rice's Battery.

There is nothing of interest concerning the Army to write. Everything has been quiet for the past week.

I saw Harry several days ago. He had found his regiment and was well.

If any paper is published in Danville, have it sent to me. Let it be directed to Jackson's Corps, 1st Division, 3rd Brigade.

My love to all the family...Yours affectionately... George Wooding

P.S. If a paper is published in Danville have any casualties at Manassas and Sharpsburg published in it.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!