Letters from Captain George Wooding, Danville Artillery

White Flint Bill

Sergeant
I have copies of several letters home from Capt. George Wooding of the Danville (Va) Artillery. As they may be of interest I will share them, one at a time, from time to time. The first one is from June 29, 1862

Camp Near Cold Harbor--Thirteen Miles North East of Richmond, June 29, 1862

Dear Pa:

I have only time to write you a line or two to inform you that I am well. General Jackson's Division was brought by forced marches from the Valley to this place to reinforce General Johnston. The forces of the enemy was previously withdrawn from the Valley, and it is thought that they have joined McClellan. We reached here at 4 o'clock p.m. on the 27 day, the day of the fight, and found the battle raging. Jackson's Division was thrown on our left of the line of battle doubtless to prevent the retreat of the enemy's right wing down the Chickahominy. A large portion of the enemy were thus cut off and captured. The number of prisoners taken will I think be from five to eight thousand. Jackson himself commanded some fresh troops. Colonel Fulkerson commanding our Brigade was drawn up in line of battle, but never received orders to fire.

You have doubtless heard of Sam Grasty's death. I wrote to his mother yesterday announcing the fact. I knew nothing of it until the day afterwards when I went to the spot he fell and marked his grave. He was shot through the head and died instantly. Several others of the Blues and Grays were killed and wounded, but they are strangers to me.

I have no idea of the future movements of our army. I think the enemy's right wing on their army around Richmond has been cut to pieces and their fortifications taken from them. A large amount of stores, artillery and small arms were captured. I understand the Federal Army is retreating, although I cannot vouch for the truth of the statement. The fight on the 27th certainly resulted in a complete victory on our part.

I understand Tom has again left home for the Army. It seems impossible for me to get any reliable information from Danville. Jones is now 1st Lieut. in my company. I did not receive your letter with regard to Tom until it was too late. I heard nothing from Brown and unhesitatingly called another election.

Remember me to all the family...Yours...Geo Wooding

NOTES: Sgt. Samuel Stone Grasty of the 18th Virginia Infantry, Co. B was Cpt. Wooding's first cousin, and was killed at the Battle of Gaines Mill.

"The Blues and Grays" is a reference to the Danville Blues (18th Va. Inf. Co. A) and the Danville Grays (18th Va. Inf. Co. B)

"Tom" is his brother Tom Wooding, who had originally enlisted in the Danville Blues as a corporal. After being demoted to Private Tom transferred to Co. C, 5th Va. Cavalry in May, 1862, where he was promoted to 3rd Sergeant. In August 1862 he suffered a head wound that kept him hospitalized for 3 months. Tom was captured at Luray 9/24/64 and sent to Point Lookout. He was exchanged in March, 1865. After the War, Tom moved to Louisiana, where he died at age 30.

Captain George Wooding was mortally wounded at Fredericksburg in December, 1862.

Last edited:
Back