Letter The Road to Gettysburg

virginiayankee

Private
In the following letter Henry Marsh, hospital steward of the 19th Indiana, describes the beginning of the march that would culminate in the battle of Gettysburg. The 19th was part of the famed Iron Brigade along with the 2nd, 6th, and 7th Wisconsin and the 24th Michigan. The original letter is in Marsh’s pension file in the National Archives in Washington, D. C.

On September 4, 1861 Marsh enlisted as a private in Company E 19th Indiana Infantry in Indianapolis, Indiana. His mustering in date was November 25, 1861. Marsh remained a private until he was transferred and promoted to the rank of hospital steward on May 11, 1863. Remaining at this rank until the end of the war Marsh stayed with the 19th Indiana until it was combined with the 20th Indiana in 1864. He mustered out with the 20th on July 12, 1865. Marsh died on March 5, 1933 in Muncie, Indiana.

I will try and keep you posted. Lee is at Front Royal. We are waiting on his moves, I guess. Gen Cutler is now in comd our brigade. With us today. Where is Gen Meredith in country? Indiana?

Centerville VA

June 16th 1863
Dear Father

I thought I would send you a few lines if I can get this away. I am well now of the diarrhea but they are just loose enough. They have not been troublesome since we left below Fredericksburg. I have been troubled some with something like Rheumatism in my knees but have kept up with the regiment all of the way.

The 12th we got up at 2 A.M. and packed up and loaded into the wagon by 4 A.M. and ready. I and two of my attendants left camp at 5.5. The Reg’t had gone sometime, we started not knowing which way they had gone we went some distance and lost the trail, but started up a [illegible] striking for Falmouth Station where we arrived a few minutes after 6 going 4 miles, when we arrived at where we saw a surgeon of the 6th Wis who said the 1st Corps was making for Stonemans Switch thence to Berrea [Berea] Church on the Catlet [Cattlet] Station road, when we heard they were striking for that place we passed through Falmouth and came on and got to the Church [Hartwood] just as Gen Wadsworth came out with his head Our flag (it was carried) we lay down and rested an hour or so until they came up. When the Division came up John P. Wood of Co F who had been condemned to be shot for Desertion. He was placed on his coffin elbows tied to his side and the soldiers drawn up in line and all fired but who were to shoot him if needed the first shots went to his heart and he fell backwards and gasped but two or three times, only the escaping of the breath. I was to see him twice before we left camp he was very penitent and the Chaplain Bro Jackson and others went over to see him. We also had a prayer meeting there at night. We camped at night near Kelly’s ford on Deep Run at a mill where we stopped when we went to Culpeper last year. 13th we marched beyond Morrisville and camped. Crossing the R. R. at Bealton station 14th we moved in the direction of Warrenton then turned to Warrenton Junction where we eat [sic] dinner. Then moved down the R.R. sometimes near and sometimes away some distance. Stoped at Kettle Run about 9 or 10 P.M. and took supper again moved passing by Bristo Station which place, I well know from the sad experience I had there. got some water out of the spring where we had our Hospital, move to Broad Run where we stopped awhile to let the troops cross. Arrived at Manassas Junction at sunrise, where we breakfasted and lay down awhile. Then came to Bull Run where we had dinner. I went down and O such a good bathe. I[?] [illegible] I[?][illegible] considerable of the ‘sacred soil’ there, as it had been very dusty marching. I don’t know when I was so thankful for the privilege. We arrived here (15th) at 4 P.M. and camped. We may stay here for two or three days or may move today, as we are only resting, so that we may move again. Our soldiers are very tired and nearly every one have their feet blistered, many are nearly bad as if burned, or skin peeled off.

Since visiting last Oliver Love Died at Wind Mill Point of Inflammation of the Brain (as I had the diarrhea) Hufford and Elisha Whiccar of Co ‘E’ who deserted are now at Division. Had two under arrest, C Petty of Co ‘B’ who was wounded at the charge over the river died some days since.

I saw John Kennedy, was over in the Reg’t the 14th he is well. He says he has not heard of [illegible] since he was at Belle Plain.

He did not send his money home as the pack [?] was sent when he recd his pay. So he loaned it out again Your very kind letter of the 7th , Indiana I read. I am glad 2 am well so I will not try to go home almost impossible any way. I would like to see Mr. Grant, [illegible] they must look grand.

Have stood the march first rate to what others did far better than what I expected God be praised for it. he has strengthened me. All well but [illegible] who is in [illegible] French, Klein, Jackson, Simmons, all well.

Henry

Back