Letter from Leander F. Crumley to his wife Nancy E. Crumley April 16th, 1862

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major

Cobb County Ga

Big Shanty April the 16th 1862

Dear wife I take the present opertunity of writing to inform you that I am well at present Hopen this lines will find you all well I have just wrote to you the 13th and sent by J. C. Bell But as I have Bin down to town I thought I would would write a gain there was 8 of our mess that went to Marietta yesterday and walked down and taken a ride on the cars coming back I saw cosen Ben Gregory down there for first time that I have saw him for over Twenty year but he shows his stock There was a circumstance that taken place here that I did not write by Bell for I wanted to know more a Bout it before I wrote there was twelve Yankees or tories that while the car hands eat breakfast on the morning of 11th of this month that come up on the cars as passengers that walked out of the bushes wher they was and on loose all the boxes but 3 from engine an took the engine and left with it and they had more strikers on the road that had cut the telegraph wire in a greate many place is and old cross ties throwd a cross the track and some iron tore up between here and Ackworth but a hand car took the track and placed back the iron and cleared the way for the next trane against it come up and our agitent taken the trane and went

(pg 2) on persute and after they got to ackworth they run 48 mile and cleard the track in 49 minets our Rigment has taken seven of the clan prisners and two more come in last night or rather yesterday evening and I havnt larnt whether our Rigment taken them or not which makes 9 in all that has bin taken they was runing so close to them at Ring Gold they jumpt out of the car and run but they was good at dodging the blood hound will show wher they have got to the nine that has bin taken is in Marieta jail and a strong gard round it and I think that a rope will be ther end they say that ther is twenty that taring up rail roads and burning up briges is ther bisnes but I think they will be brout to towe yet I had my likeness taken yesterday which I send back by N. W. Jackson it was the best that I could do the man was out of cases so I had to take an open frame but as you wanted it taken I thought I would send it as I could get it I will send you fifty cents in postage stamps for fear you cant get change for postage all the sick is on the mend but P J Okelly which was taken night befor last with brain fever he is bad off I have got but one Letter yet since I come in camps and I want you to write for I want to hear some as well as to write all so no more at present but you Have my warmes hart

Leander F. Crumley

Back