Let's talk about shoes?!?

View attachment 121568

So I am gathering my supplies for the battle of Shiloh.. the only thing is that I don't have any period appropriate shoes! Where does everyone buy them? I know American Dutchess has some good ones but I'm not really able to spend $200 on a pair of shoes. Any recommendations on where to get the best value and most accurate shoes would be awesome!
looking for shoes myself thanks for posting.

Meant to say too..look to “Paddock” boots. They are often pull on..and are very close..um..State Line Tack...Dover Saddlery..good beginning search places. Most have rubber soles, but in the day it was known that old soles(!) were covered in rubber to make them water proof...and as I have found, every venue is different in thier insistance on absolutely correct footwear. My opinion is this..don’t kill your feet. Get as close as you can, and if someone gives you grief, tell them “This is why we have trouble getting new people into the community”. Not trying to be snarky, but we need to welcome the neewbies..and kindly point them to the correct, or nearly correct suppliers..no one arrives with a full kit. It can take years to gather all the fun stuff for your impression. It’s a volunteer dealio after all...

So I purchased the ones below as they were in my budget. I know the elastic isn't historically accurate but I plan on making gaitors to go over them. Do you think that will work?

Actually elastic in shoes is historically accurate, and was commonly available for civilian shoes, and even soldiers wore civilian shoes if that's all they could get -- though perhaps more among Confederates.

"rough outs" would not have been typical though. Smooth side out would have been the default.

But, all said, there was no official issue standard for civilian shoes. You could order them up any way you wanted at the time, so there's you're "out" if anyone at Shiloh gets nitty about it.

Last edited:
Back