Tell me more! Let Me Introduce You To

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Captain Johnson H Sands, 1st Virginia Artillery. I snag these up every chance I get and I got this one today. These pastel drawing were very popular in the 1880's & 90's. Most of these were done by an artist from an original tintype or ambrotype. Who ever did this one was a fantastic artist and his features and the colors are Great. I know all of his CW history but am having a hard time on his pre and post war life. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jh sands.jpg

Nice. What size is the painting?

Is this his grave?

Nice. What size is the painting?

Is this his grave?

It 28 x 33.

Census records

SandsJH_1860 Census.JPG

He was listed with other boarders in the Capitol Ford(?) Hotel. He and both parents listed their nativity as OHIO.
SandsJH_1880 Census.JPG

This is the Johnson H. Sands of the Find-a-grave listing. I don't know if it's the man in the portrait. He was a former resident and real-estate agent in Richmond, and for several years (c. 1905-1910) had a running dispute with the city over upkeep of some of his property. Newspapers carry many legal documents and court records (he seems to have consistently ignored orders and summons).
The_Times_Dispatch_Thu__May_7__1908_.jpg
[May 1908]
In 1910, we read: "the Washington lawyer, minister, real estate dealer, and millionaire ... was served with a summons to come to court and to defend the proceedings but he refused to pay any attention to the orders of the court, and the justice entered the order (to demolish) in his absence."
It is unclear whether all these orders refer to the same case and the same buildings.
Legal notices regarding his estate occur throughout 1915 (& up to 1919), but I find no obituary or death notice.

Thanks. I believe that is him as I found a few of those summons.

Here is one from 1869.
1583792735845.png

Back