Let’s See Your Civil War Lithographs And Prints

IMG_8297.jpeg

IMG_8298.jpeg
IMG_8300.jpeg
IMG_8301.jpeg
IMG_8302.jpeg
IMG_8303.jpeg

Earlier (post 55) I showed a lithographic copy of Alfred Waud's sketch of Confederate Prisoners. I have 2 copies of that print and they both look like some took a pair of scissors to them.There always seems to be a portion of the original missing on the right side. Is there a story behind this sketch's odd shape?

Last edited:
What a cool thread this is. I just found it. I have a fairly large collection of prints/lithos (not trying to boast) much to my wifes chagrin. I have over 30 and most are on the walls and probably 60% are cavalry themed (I retired from mtd cav reenacting after nearly 30 years). Anyway, I am only gonna post one as it is my favorite. It is by Gilbert Gaul who did a lot of war themed paintings around the turn of the century. This particular one is entitled "Faithful unto Death" (some list the title as "Taps" also) and Gaul painted it in 1907. There were 100 lithographs done shortly after this was painted, that were stored in the basement of the old Hermitage Hotel in Nashville, in around 1909 when it flooded. They got most of them out but this particular print does show slight water damage at the very bottom.

The reason this is so important to me is that it shows a slain CS cavalryman whose trusted mount survived but stays near his master's body not certain what to do next.

During my years of being active in the Cav, I did many long distance campaign events of around a week or so long and over 100 miles in distance. We had to live out of our saddlebags and it really showed me how dependent you can become to your mount. A real bond develops. This painting touches me in that respect, so it is my favorite. Hope this makes sense and doesn't sound like an old codger reminiscing..... :unsure:
Faithful unto death by Gilbert Gaul.jpg

Back