Lemat revolver

kenysd

Private
Ok, I sold another gun, and ordered a Lemat from Dixie Gun....
expensive, but I'm worth it...HA

I'm going to case it...done this before... and I'm thinking about having Lodewood defarb it.
Haven't even got the gun and I'm thinking of changing it.
their defarb looks good, $225, 12 weeks wait, but I don't like the rusty look, I'd rather have a
clean and worn look. Has anyone got any advice..
besides..LEAVE THE THING ALONE.
Ken
these are Colt 1975 reissues with all original markings, and the accessories are original.

IMG_3051 (2).JPG

Lodgewood does a wonderful job defarbing guns, especially if aged. But I don't see the point of defarbing a gun, especially a Lemat. The size is slightly off because the caliber's bigger.

A good old friend who's built many a period gun said to me when I wanted to build a kit more historically accurate "If you want something a hundred percent right get the real deal. Ain't nothing wrong with fixing small things off like the stock shape and finish, but anymore than that your being stupid. That gun's a reproduction, and it ought to scream to the world it is because if not twenty years after your gone some scumbag will pawn it off as a rare version of an original, especially when so many gunsmiths are doing it. Be nice to the generations that come after you."

Defarb a Lemat repro all you want, or a Spiller & Burr, those repros are off enough they can't be made 100% or even 90%. (Except the S&B but that'd take a LOT of work) Defarbing is a practice that's gone too far overboard in my book.

I honestly don't see the point as except stock color an weight, a real CW soldier would never know the difference between a Chiappa/Pedersoli P1853 or M1861, and one from Springfield or Potts & Hunt or Barnett and so on. Give the stock a dark finish, and re shape it they'd definitely never know the difference. With revolvers they'd never tell the difference between a brand new repro and the original. Don't say markings because most folks back then couldn't read. So why should we be worried with making repros so much like the originals?

I agree a new repro can seem rather "raw" but my taste would be for a light touch with the defarb. Whatever you go for,do let us know

DSCF8754.JPG

Last edited:
why would I do it? because I'm edited crazy!
at least that's what my wifey would say.
I like the colts pictured because they have all the original markings etc.
an original Lemat is of course out of the question, and I want a TV gun anyway.
I was thinking of just removing the blue..leave it in the white..but then again..why?
Is the gun above pictured an original or a defarb?
And don't worry about confusing it with an original. I did antique gun restoration and repair for three decades.
and NO one would ever confuse it with the real thing. here are some other casings I've done..
french flintlock 2.jpg
IMG_3049 (2).JPG
old cased .50 muzzel loader.JPG

@kenysd My heart is torn between the boxed Colts and the flintlock pistol. Being the incurable romantic that I am however, I must go with the flintlock. You must be very proud of those!

Thanks for the photos, John

I have gone for the ultimate defarb. After three day living history events I always came home with a back ache from the weight of that thing hanging on my hip. I replaced the Colt in my holster with a cell phone & a pack of cheese crackers.

I have gone for the ultimate defarb. After three day living history events I always came home with a back ache from the weight of that thing hanging on my hip. I replaced the Colt in my holster with a cell phone & a pack of cheese crackers.

You should program a civil war period sound as the ring tone for your holstered cell phone - think of all the interesting sounds that might be used.

Back