Authentic Legumes of the war

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Interesting article, thanks for sharing it!

I didn't realize you could use peanut oil in machinery and in lamps! It was also a substitute for lard which made me wonder about peanut oil infused Southern fried chicken for some reason :giggle:

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
That was a very interesting article. My only question is were there many people who had peanut allergies then? it is something we see all of the time now. I'm guessing it barely existed then. Thanks for posting this @Stiles/Akin.
Very true about the peanut allergies. There are various theories I've heard about the prevalence of the nut allergies, but it could be like with other things - lactose and gluten intolerance for instance - that better diagnostic testing and more awareness about the allergies have led people to realize their discomfort is not something they have to tolerate but something that can either be avoided or treated. Makes one wonder too when someone in the 19th century died from a 'fit' or seizure suddenly if in fact it was anaphylactic shock.

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
That was a very interesting article. My only question is were there many people who had peanut allergies then? it is something we see all of the time now. I'm guessing it barely existed then. Thanks for posting this @Stiles/Akin.
That is a thought. You know however I feel a lot of our allergies and ailments are related to our processed diet.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing it!

I didn't realize you could use peanut oil in machinery and in lamps! It was also a substitute for lard which made me wonder about peanut oil infused Southern fried chicken for some reason :giggle:
The chinese have been using peanut oil here for years,it is almost as healthy as olive oil.