NF 'Legends & Lies' Returns With a Riveting Look at The Civil War

Non-Fiction
Visualizing Lee in a straw hat is as hard as visualizing Forrest in one - but they did wear them! Jackson's, however, was epic:

jackson-jpg.jpg

I don't get the channel this series is on - are there any segments available on something like YouTube?

Discuss...:frantic:

Thanks for posting this season's first two episodes. This will give those who have not yet seen the aired episodes the opportunity to decide for themselves if it parrots pro-confederate myths or not. And the suggestion that this thread should be locked because of the involvement of current and former Fox News personnel in the film is akin to thread banning the movie Gettysburg from CWT because of the political leanings and activism of Ted Turner and his then-wife, Jane Fonda.

Thanks for posting this season's first two episodes. This will give those who have not yet seen the aired episodes the opportunity to decide for themselves if it parrots pro-confederate myths or not. And the suggestion that this thread should be locked because of the involvement of current and former Fox News personnel in the film is akin to thread banning the movie Gettysburg from CWT because of the political leanings and activism of Ted Turner and his then-wife, Jane Fonda.

D'oh! :x3: Thanks, Copperhead! I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other... :laugh:

Interesting going back through this:
Some posters though it was a little too :grant:
Some thought it a little too :lee:

After watching that first video I'ma throwing in my opinion about that straw hat! Accurate or not!
It's marvelous!
:wub:
Oh my!
I didn't get a chance to mention it at UDC though! But I dang sure will!
We were busy restocking our food pantry and guess who gots themselves elected VP!
Now my evil plans for world domination can commence!
:bounce:

Seriously though, I've got to go to my sewing group (yet again) but I did want to ask abut one thing.
Can anyone expound on the comments made about General Lee being thought of as the "2nd coming of George Washington." Is that simply because he married into the family? Was his reputation (socially/militarily) really that dependent/based on that fact? I don't think I have head that before. I have some other question concerning that first video posted but just wanted to start there.

I have not seen the previous episodes but watched episode 4 last night (“Frederick Douglass: The Dawn of a New Day”), I enjoyed it and didn’t think it was too “pro-confederate” (but I might be a bit basis from a southern upbringing). I think it did a good job of showing President Lincoln’s struggle/courage in making the EP. It’s not as intellectual as the Ken Burns series but it was certainly enjoyable to watch. I’m glad to see Fox News make such a show, it sure beats watching people arguing over the same political talking parts all day...

I have not seen the previous episodes but watched episode 4 last night (“Frederick Douglass: The Dawn of a New Day”), I enjoyed it and didn’t think it was too “pro-confederate” (but I might be a bit basis from a southern upbringing). I think it did a good job of showing President Lincoln’s struggle/courage in making the EP. It’s not as intellectual as the Ken Burns series but it was certainly enjoyable to watch. I’m glad to see Fox News make such a show, it sure beats watching people arguing over the same political talking parts all day...
no you are right. I have found it to be fair in praise and criticism for both sides.

In another thread here on CWT, a poster mentions that during the Seven Days campaign, Lee is reported as wearing a linen duster and a straw hat. I can't locate any other information to substantiate this. Apparently some soldiers did wear straw hats during this campaign. I honestly can't picture General Lee in one.
I'm reading Bruce Catton's "Mr. Lincoln's Army", he mentions during second Manassas McDowell was wearing some contraption on his head that looked like a basket. It apparently looked so ridiculous that soldiers thought he was signaling the enemy with it.

I give the series credit for getting the Civil War out there. I do believe the series so far is a bit pedestrian, as if designed for elementary school kids, which is not a bad thing. The costuming is not bad, some really great looks, some eh. I was pleased to see a number of my Old Timey Casting buddies on the show but it looks like a mostly a fresh group of folks.

While I carry on for entire commercial breaks about omissions, cants and biases (which by my account appear to be evenly distributed between North and South) the mere fact that there is a show, any show about the Civil War, which is not horribly out of sync is a good thing. I am not Little Mac fan by any stretch but even I think he got a bit of a bum steer a few episodes ago. He did set the stage and train for what was to become a great military power. In that regard alone he deserves some credit. I did like the guy they cast as Jackson with the crazy eyes. He appears to convey the look as described in many written works on Jackson.

My biggest peeve with the show is the number of men in the ranks. Fox obviously had a tight budget and battle scenes look like one or two messes on line, blazing away at one another.

Not great, not horrible, so in my book, a good thing. If you record and blast through the commercials, each episode so far is about 35-40 minutes.

the mere fact that there is a show, any show about the Civil War, which is not horribly out of sync is a good thing.

I totally agree! I anticipated it being basic, which is fine. I have definitely seen worse as far as uniforms. The battle scenes are obviously limited to small numbers and maybe the presentation is too generic....but hey, it is cool that a series about the CW is on at all.

I totally agree! I anticipated it being basic, which is fine. I have definitely seen worse as far as uniforms. The battle scenes are obviously limited to small numbers and maybe the presentation is too generic....but hey, it is cool that a series about the CW is on at all.
I would add that often with shows like this the acting and dialog are somewhat hoaky. I have not found that here. It seems that while I agree that it does just cover the surface of things whomever is producing it is taking the subject seriously. Nothing like what the History channel has put out in recent years..

Back