Left Handed in the ACW

tn.jpg
tn (1).jpg

Not what I expected, I thought it would have a creamy filling like a sour cream blintz. This was more like apple pie but raisins instead. Delicious!!!
See what you guys started with all that pie talk?

Pvt.Shattuck said:
Not to change the subject :D but this children's periodical from 1850 says that left handedness is the habit of the stubborn and disobedient http://www.merrycoz.org/museum/LEFT.HTM
Diane, your pie looks more like what I imagined. By the way, I ate the pie with fork in my left hand.

That stuff is unREAL. What a story...

I got a kick out of some of the letters kids wrote to that magazine: "My father likes it very much. I never heard him say a word of disapprobation, except in regard to the article upon "whiskers." He thought that might just as well have been omitted; some folks might consider it personal, inasmuch as some people do wear them, and think they have a right to do so; and even think some folks do that it improves their appearance. My father wears whiskers; but that, of course, has nothing to do with the propriety of publishing that article. He would have thought just the same about it, but might not have said any thing. To be candid with you, my mother could not see much wit in it, and spoke rather disparagingly of it. I may observe, that I have heard my mother speak rather admiringly of my father's whiskers, but that's neither here nor there."

And this one: "It is a beautiful rosewood piano, made by Mr. Chickering in Boston. What a long way for it to come here, right in the midst of the mountains of Virginia! ... I hope the Union never will be dissolved, but if it should be, I have got my piano any how.
-- Phoebe Preston, 1851"

I told the beautiful Christine about this thread and she made me a sour cream raisin pie, bless her heart. It's cooling now. I will post pics.:mstickle:
You have a precious gift, Pvt. cherish it and hold it close. There are few that have life partmers who will do that just because.

And, by the way, I have whiskers because I'm too lazy to shave. but Diane's pie makes me hungry, so i have to find something to eat.

4:35 and I scared the dog again already. This is a GREAT thread to wake up to. And I don't know whether I want to go play the piano left handed, eat pie, make one or go wake up my husband and kiss him for being a nice man with whiskers.

Just had to bump this thread after having more than one conversation over the last couple of weeks about being - you guessed it- left handed! What stellar company it appears I am in, and @JPK Huson 1863 , I can empathize after a teacher tried to make me write right handed when I was 7 yrs old. Old superstitions die hard, but my mother was having none of it, and so I was allowed to develop naturally in all my left handed glory :smug:

Unfortunately, I'm a let down in the pie area ... my left handed talents don't extend to awesome baking skills ... but always happy to eat a slice if it's on offer (thanks in advance :D)

Last edited:
Just had to bump this thread after having more than one conversation over the last couple of weeks about being - you guessed it- left handed! What stellar company it appears I am in, and @JPK Huson 1863 , I can empathize after a teacher tried to make me write right handed when I was 7 yrs old. Old supersitions die hard, but my mother was having none of it, and so I was allowed to develop naturally in all my left handed glory :smug:

Unfortunately, I'm a let down in the pie area ... my left handed talents don't extend to awesome baking skills ... but always happy to eat a slice if it's on offer (thanks in advance :D)

Ha! I never thought to tell anyone- you know kids. If the teacher said it was wrong, well, it just was. That was gosh, 1963? Odd though, Dad never had a teacher try to change him and that was the 30's! Daughter is so strongly lefty I'm not sure it would have done a thing.

Handwriting is barely legible. In our day, it was a huge, big deal, ' Penmanship '. OH how I longed to get those kudos and a gold star! Nope. It looks fine to me but am told it's just terrible. Oh well, little late to change.

Dad never had a teacher try to change him and that was the 30's!
Must have skipped a generation! My Dad was also left handed, so that's where I'm guessing my southpaw came from, too :smile: We do seem to have a lot in common JPK, and my handwriting isn't great either, even though I did get to write left handed - that teacher's attempt was very shortlived thankfully.

Back