Left Handed in the ACW

OK this thread is supposed to be about left handedness in the CW but sour cream and raisin- I never tasted such a pie! Sounds awesome!
This thread was started as a spoof and so it remains. Just a little good-natured joshing. I'd delete it as being useless, but it is so much fun. (I never did like sour cream/raisin, but others did, so I reserve judgement.)

I would, however, like to try one of damyankee's grandmother's left-handed pies.

This thread was started as a spoof and so it remains. Just a little good-natured joshing. I'd delete it as being useless, but it is so much fun. (I never did like sour cream/raisin, but others did, so I reserve judgement.)

I would, however, like to try one of damyankee's grandmother's left-handed pies.
You would think he would be able to find some of her old recipes and post them on the food forum.

From my obsevations, Pie making is not science but a art. My mom admitted that most of the time when she gave someone a reciept that she left out the difference between a good Pie and a GREAT Pie.
I have several cook books from the 1870s-1900 It would be a real challenge to make something from those directions, A pinch, A hand full , the size of a walnut, a hot oven, a slow oven, and on and on.

From my obsevations, Pie making is not science but a art. My mom admitted that most of the time when she gave someone a reciept that she left out the difference between a good Pie and a GREAT Pie.
I have several cook books from the 1870s-1900 It would be a real challenge to make something from those directions, A pinch, A hand full , the size of a walnut, a hot oven, a slow oven, and on and on.
Know what you mean. Mom could make dinner rolls that had the threshing crews slavering to get at.

No one has been able to duplicate it for that very reason ... the kicker was "knead it until it feels right.":confused:

Know what you mean. Mom could make dinner rolls that had the threshing crews slavering to get at.

No one has been able to duplicate it for that very reason ... the kicker was "knead it until it feels right.":confused:

That's the way Mom cooks - measure it out in her hand! All by feel. Her prize winner is beef soup. I've tried and tried but even with her standing over my shoulder it never turns out as good as hers. (It may be she makes it left-handed...:happy: )

Sour cream raisin pie is quite good but the one I favor is buttermilk pie! :hungry: That's rich, rich, rich but good, good, good! Think I'll post it up on the food forum as a matter of fact.

I tried for years to duplicate my granny's peach cobbler. I came to the conclusion that one of the problems is that I don't use the same flour, shortening or lard, home-canned peaches, etc. and that I can make one that REMINDS me of hers, but it ain't never gonna be the same, even though we're sitting at her dining table eating off her plates :smile:

And pies ARE an art. :smile: I am a pretty good modern-day artist, but that's because Granny taught me. Some of my earliest memories are of standing on a chair with her apron wrapped around me, learning to roll out biscuits and pie crust.

You would think he would be able to find some of her old recipes and post them on the food forum.
Good luck with finding gramma's recipe. It was done by feel. Make crust, mix a little flour with the fruit and add a dollup of butter, and bake in a medium oven until nicely browned. A medium oven is one wherein you did not build the fire too hot.

Good luck with finding gramma's recipe. It was done by feel. Make crust, mix a little flour with the fruit and add a dollup of butter, and bake in a medium oven until nicely browned. A medium oven is one wherein you did not build the fire too hot.
I agree, you could use all the same ingredients and not have a pie that tasted like hers.:smile:

I agree, you could use all the same ingredients and not have a pie that tasted like hers.:smile:
When Mom was asked how she managed to make such goodies, she would reply that we weren't around when she was learning.

I am personally glad that I wasn't there when she learned how to do whatever. Will have to ask the elders what her cooking was like when she was in her 20s.

I was fortunate enough to come along when she had a few years of experimenting under her belt.

This is a totally useless thread, but I'm liking it a lot. It allows each of us to talk about unimportant things and have fun doing it.

If a board isn't enlightening or fun, it has no purpose. This board is both enlightening AND fun. Sometimes really serious, and sometimes frivolous. This is a strickly frivolous thread. Jocularity has been known to be a calming influence.

Thank you for allowing it to ramble around like it has. I came over to have a look because I'm left handed-have the worst handwriting on the planet from switching BACK after Kindergarten when the teacher did that thing they used to do with rapping lefties on the knuckles with rulers? My mother figured this out apparently, made her own adjustments. I didn't catch on the whole spoof thing though ( blond )- really thought there was something about muskets and lefties so wanted to know...... . I've never shot a musket, we don't own one although to do me a wee bit of justice I didn't see how it could be different- just like shooting. Dad ( lefty ) taught all his daughters to shoot on the grounds we'd need it someday, just never explained what those grounds would be. Lefty who loves to shoot, thank you Dad!

I scared the dog just now by laughing out loud a few times here- way too many points I agree with to answer without one of those endless, long posts which look silly so will just say thanks. Also that 4 a.m. is the BEST part of the day. By 6 one has overslept. :smile:

This is a great thread. It always nice to post about memories of times past. I always remember my Granny making pies. She made the best fruit pies. She never worked from a recipe just knew how and they always turned out delicious.

I always remember being in kitchen with her and she helped me make a little pie that was whatever the big pies were. This was my pie. Somehow with her help they turned out good but never exactly like hers.

Back