1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Lee's Supply Trains, Nov. '64

Discussion in 'The Eastern Theater' started by DaveBrt, Nov 1, 2016.

1. DaveBrt

DaveBrt First Sergeant

George Johnston 1.jpg

The attached is a report of the Supply Trains of the ANV, as of November 4, 1864, given by Maj. George Johnston, QM Chief and Inspector of Field Transportation and found in his Fold3 service record . From the note on P. 3, this appears to be the actual assignment of wagons and horses, not a Table of Allowance. The total is about 600 wagons, but it is unclear if there are more lines missing from the bottom of the report (very likely, since there are no totals for the columns).
    George Johnston 2.jpg George Johnston 3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2016

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Pvt.Shattuck

Pvt.Shattuck Sergeant Major

Imagine the logistical problems of feeding and supplying an army of 60-80,000 men in the war torn Virginia of November, 1864. It didn't fail until April 1865, when the food for a starving ANV just wasn't where it needed to be and Lee was finally forced to surrender.

JohnW. likes this.
  4. DaveBrt

DaveBrt First Sergeant

I have never found a study of the problems, and efforts to solve them, of feeding Richmond, Lee's troops and Lee's horses in 1863-1865. A couple of works touch on parts of the problem, but I think the issue is waiting for me to address it (and I intend to in a future book).

JohnW. likes this.
  5. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

While bottled up and under siege in Petersburg/Richmond too.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    JohnW. likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)