Lee's biggest mistakes at Gettysburg

jackt62

Captain
Lincoln not only had the Democrats to deal with but members of his own party, the Radical Republicans also gave him trouble. It showed it well in the movie Lincoln. He was too radical for the Democrats and too conservative for some Republicans. Remember before the 1864 election members of his own party were trying to dump him.
Which is further proof that Lincoln was possibly the shrewdest (I say that in a positive way) President of all time. He successfully dealt with foes from within and without. One instance that comes to mind is the way he outmaneuvered his erstwhile cabinet member Chase by kicking him upstairs to the Justiceship of SCOTUS.

wausaubob

Colonel
Which is further proof that Lincoln was possibly the shrewdest (I say that in a positive way) President of all time. He successfully dealt with foes from within and without. One instance that comes to mind is the way he outmaneuvered his erstwhile cabinet member Chase by kicking him upstairs to the Justiceship of SCOTUS.
That's an entirely different topic, eminently deserving of discussion.

Rex Felton

Cadet
This is an excellent article on details of army animals in the war:
https://www.historynet.com/southern-horse.htm
I left NW Ohio and drove to Lexington KY on my way to Paducah KY for a CW Tour following Grant to Corinth.

At the Museum of the Horse they had a guest exhibit on the Horse and Mule in the Civil War. This was a Smithsonian curated exhibit but the Cavalry on raids would have carried oats if available but I don't recall the exact amounts.