"Lee to the rear!"

They were indeed! It gives me chillbumbs to think of what it must have been like fighting in the Valley with Jackson! What are your thoughts on Hood commanding the Army of Tennessee? Obviously given his health it wasn't a good fit, but I don't think he was intoxicated like some historians insist.

Hood in command of the AoT is honestly a different thread. His Texans were not there, nor was Stonewall's Brigade.

These two groups were in the East the whole time, whipping Yankees. Neo-Unionists will be upset with this, but that's the way it was.

Hood in command of the AoT is honestly a different thread. His Texans were not there, nor was Stonewall's Brigade.

These two groups were in the East the whole time, whipping Yankees. Neo-Unionists will be upset with this, but that's the way it was.

I agree, he was supurb as a regimental, and divisional commander but given the near impossibility of making head way in the West and his health he was behind the 8 ball.

Does anyone have any information on Lee's attempt to lead a charge inside the mule shoe salient? Also there is another instance bit my memory is failing me!

Yeah, the rout of A.P. Hill's Corps that morning might've been the worst panic the ANV experienced up to that time and Lee was certainly glad to see Longstreet and his men come marching up.
Excellent post! However, I would like to point out that not quite ALL of Hill's Corps was routed during that attack. Davis's Brigade (under the command of Col. Stone of the 2nd Mississippi), held firm and even participated in Sorrel's flank attack later that day.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on Lee's attempt to lead a charge inside the mule shoe salient? Also there is another instance bit my memory is failing me!
There were at least two incidents at Spotsylvania during the battle for the Mule Shoe on May 12. I posted a couple accounts of the first incident in post #19 on the last page, when Lee tried to lead some of John B. Gordon's men into battle. The other time that day was while Nathaniel H. Harris's Mississippi Brigade was going into action.

Excellent post! However, I would like to point out that not quite ALL of Hill's Corps was routed during that attack. Davis's Brigade (under the command of Col. Stone of the 2nd Mississippi), held firm and even participated in Sorrel's flank attack later that day.
True. My understanding (mainly from John M. Priest's books on the Wilderness) is that Davis's Brigade was driven back with the rest of Hill's Corps that morning, but Col. Stone managed to rally a number of his men and regroup behind Longstreet's Corps. Besides participating in Sorrel's flank attack they also helped fight off Burnside's attack on Longstreet's flank much later in the day.

I should also point out though that Hancock's attack only fell on Heth's and Wilcox's divisions of Hill's Corps. Anderson's Division was detached elsewhere and followed Longstreet's Corps to the battlefield.

Would you happen to know of any online resources for further reading on The Wilderness? Really anything is appreciated

Would you happen to know of any online resources for further reading on The Wilderness? Really anything is appreciated
Well, there's a lot of newer material in recent years on The Wilderness in particular and the Overland Campaign in general, but I always liked The Battle of the Wilderness, May 5–6, 1864 by Gordon C. Rhea.

Back