Lee, Robert E.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
A Union that can only be maintained by swords and bayonets, and in which strife and civil war are to take the place of brotherly love and kindness, has no charm for me.

-- Robert E. Lee, January 1861

"It is well that war is so terrible--we should grow too fond of it"

- Robert E. Lee gave this observation while watching thousands of Union soldiers sent to the slaughter at Fredericksburg

"General Longstreet, when once in a fight, was a most brilliant soldier; but he was the hardest man to move I had in my army."

--Robert E. Lee

"I am desirous that the bravery and devotion of the Army of Northern Virginia be correctly transmitted to posterity. This is the only tribute that can now be paid to the worth of its noble officers and soldiers." ... General Robert E. Lee

"He is at rest now, and we who are left are the ones to suffer."

Robert E Lee, with tears in his eyes, upon hearing of the death of Gen A.P. Hill

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union. It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation."

-- Col. Robert E. Lee, U.S.A. in a letter to his son Custis, January 23, 1861

"I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword."

-- Robert E. Lee to General Winfield Scott,
Resigning his commission with the US Army.

"We always understood each other. I feel they may continue to make these changes till they find someone I don't understand."

-- Robert E. Lee Nov. 10 1862 upon hearing that McClellan was no longer in charge of the Union Army.

"We have fought this fight as long, and as well as we know how. We have been defeated. For us as a Christian people, there is now but one course to pursue. We must accept the situation."

Robert E. Lee

"What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world."

Robert E. Lee

"Keep steady in the view of the great principles for which you contend. The safety of your homes and the lives of all you hold dear depend upon your courage and exertions. Let each man resolve to be victorious, and that the right of self government, liberty and peace shall find him a defender." --General Robert E. Lee, in a speech to his soldiers on September 9, 1861

Last edited by a moderator:
“Everyone should do all in his power to collect and
disseminate the truth, in hope that truth may find a
place in history and descend to posterity. History is
not the relating of campaigns, and battles, and
generals or other individuals, but that which shows
principles. The principles for which the South
contended were government by the people, that is,
government by consent of the governed, government
limited and local, free of consolidated power. Those
principles justified the South’s struggle.” --ROBERT
E. LEE

Keep your command together and in good spirits, General; don't let it think of surrender. I will get you out of this. --General Lee to Fitz Lee on the retreat from Petersburg

(Message edited by johan_steele on August 23, 2004)

I do not mean to say that he is not competent, but from what I have seen of him I do not know that he is. --Robert E. Lee of his artillery chief, General W.N. Pendleton

No matter what may be the ability of the officer, if he loses the confidence of his troops, disaster must sooner or later ensue. --Lee to Jefferson Davis, 1863

Back