Lee crossing into MD into PA

Wonders if it may be comfort also...Ewell was absent a leg. Lee was eating things that helped his heart but may have made a saddle uncomfortable.

I believe that officers were responsible for feeding themselves, so they usually ate better than the ordinary soldiers.

They were indeed. They had to pay or forage for their own meals which allowed them to get edibles that might have been out of reach of most enlisted men.

Ryan

Lee did not ride on horseback when he crossed into PA from MD. He was sick that day, and was riding in a carriage that day. Interest trivia

I am curious about your source. I have a list of 15 sightings of Lee between Williamsport, Maryland and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania from June 25-27 that all have him on horseback.

Ewell, on the other hand, rode in a carriage whenever possible because of his leg, until he arrived on the field on July 1. That afternoon he was dismounted and observing the distant approach of a Federal force (157th New York) on the exposed right flank of Doles' brigade, but having no staff officer or courier present, he was unable to get back on his horse to warn Doles of the threat. [C. D. Grace, B/4 GA, Confederate Veteran, vol. 5, 1897, p. 615]

Last edited:
I am curious about your source. I have a list of 15 sightings of Lee between Williamsport, Maryland and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania from June 25-27 that all have him on horseback.

Ewell, on the other hand, rode in a carriage whenever possible because of his leg, until he arrived on the field on July 1. That afternoon he was dismounted and observing the distant approach of a Federal force (157th New York) on the exposed right flank of Doles' brigade, but having no staff officer or courier present, he was unable to get back on his horse to warn Doles of the threat. [C. D. Grace, B/4 GA, Confederate Veteran, vol. 5, 1897, p. 615]

Love your extensive knowledge of the Gettysburg Campaign @Tom Elmore.

It was something I read...can’t provide source. Could be possible that at the moment, or day, he crossed the border between states he was in a carriage. I concede to your knowledge on the subject if i’m incorrect.

Did lee also have his own personal carriage or was it just any carriage, or was it an army wagon? How did the army headquarter command company travel?

The following is the final paragraph of Robert E. Lee, Volume 3, Chapter 4 by Douglas Southall Freeman:
"All these efforts were to be co-ordinated. The supreme endeavor of the South to win its independence was now to be made. So far as the Army of Northern Virginia was concerned, the hour had come. In the midst of a heavy rain on the morning of June 25, the bands struck up "Dixie," the cheering division began to move, and the man who carried his nation's hope turned Traveller's head into the Potomac."​

The following is the final paragraph of Robert E. Lee, Volume 3, Chapter 4 by Douglas Southall Freeman:
"All these efforts were to be co-ordinated. The supreme endeavor of the South to win its independence was now to be made. So far as the Army of Northern Virginia was concerned, the hour had come. In the midst of a heavy rain on the morning of June 25, the bands struck up "Dixie," the cheering division began to move, and the man who carried his nation's hope turned Traveller's head into the Potomac."​
Well, there you go!

Maybe it something they ate? Did officers eat different than enlisted men in that army?
It just depends . Its not necessarily a given. Also while contaminated food is certainly an issue in the ACW if anything it pales next to polluted water.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
It was something I read...can’t provide source. Could be possible that at the moment, or day, he crossed the border between states he was in a carriage. I concede to your knowledge on the subject if i’m incorrect.

The extent of my knowledge regarding the battle is based upon what eyewitnesses actually reported. It could well be that Lee rode in a carriage, and I am only interested in knowing more about the source of that information. Of course, if Lee rode in a vehicle I would have expected it to be an army ambulance (but then again, see below).

Just found this: The General [Lee] has a private carriage, or ambulance as it is called, of his own; but he never uses it. It formerly belonged to Federal General Pope. (William Miller Owen, In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, Boston: Ticknor and Company, 1885, p. 242)

Yes, but the Potomac river is between md and va. What about the day he crossed md to pa

Back