Lee Lee Boyhood Home For Sale

Almost - and getting more certain - like he never even existed ---- another generation and much of Lee's legacy will be, in the public sphere , gone - Once you remove the markers and monuments and books - it just disappears
Ozymandias
BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—"Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

There was a link to a snide article about the house and its connection to the slave-owner who fought for slavery I saw on Yahoo! today when I finished checking my E-mail this morning.
Does the article mention Arlington House, or is it simply ignored? I bet an adjective to my question mark before the subjoined word wrote it.
Lubliner.

There was a link to a snide article about the house and its connection to the slave-owner who fought for slavery I saw on Yahoo! today when I finished checking my E-mail this morning.
Yes, that must have been the same article I waslinked to.
Does the article mention Arlington House, or is it simply ignored? I bet an adjective to my question mark before the subjoined word wrote it.
Lubliner.
As far as I remember, there was no mention of Arlington. I bet the author didn't have an idea about Lee and just repeated what just swam up in the brine over the last few years.

Yes, that must have been the same article I waslinked to.

As far as I remember, there was no mention of Arlington. I bet the author didn't have an idea about Lee and just repeated what just swam up in the brine over the last few years.
I can't believe in a one-eyed journalist that can see one house and not the other, unless he is from some far-off land. I don't know the content of the article, and may be way out of line with my assumptions. I apologize if this is so, firstly, and secondly my remark was nothing but a sly attempt at humor calling him an adjective, whatever that is.
Lubliner.

I can't believe in a one-eyed journalist that can see one house and not the other, unless he is from some far-off land. I don't know the content of the article, and may be way out of line with my assumptions. I apologize if this is so, firstly, and secondly my remark was nothing but a sly attempt at humor calling him an adjective, whatever that is.
Lubliner.
Well, the article was about the house for sale, so not sure why the journalist would even bring up Arlington. But I also suspect the journalist did not even know Lee ever lived at Arlington. That is not really general knowledge here in the DC area.

This is an example of my worst fear in this history rearrangement syndrome. When you take down the marker that denotes that an event happened or a person lived there, etc, you are removing the history from public view. Out of sight and then out of mind and then it is GONE - like it never existed.

This is an example of my worst fear in this history rearrangement syndrome. When you take down the marker that denotes that an event happened or a person lived there, etc, you are removing the history from public view. Out of sight and then out of mind and then it is GONE - like it never existed.
Many do not wish to recall personal tragedy, shame and disgrace that once was a part of their ancestry. There is always probable cause to interpret though I gain nothing over the argument being orphaned at birth. But I will tell you this ancestry topic can be very disheartening and self-centered to an orphan that was and is to this day. So please allow me the opportunity to avoid those things that displease my own self-awareness. Thank you. It is a memory of being unwanted, and a rejection from the nest of families any time I am suggestively persuaded to dig into my own origins.
[Edit]: Or add thereunto.

Lubliner.

Th
Many do not wish to recall personal tragedy, shame and disgrace that once was a part of their ancestry. There is always probable cause to interpret though I gain nothing over the argument being orphaned at birth. But I will tell you this ancestry topic can be very disheartening and self-centered to an orphan that was and is to this day. So please allow me the opportunity to avoid those things that displease my own self-awareness. Thank you. It is a memory of being unwanted, and a rejection from the nest of families any time I am suggestively persuaded to dig into my own origins.
[Edit]: Or add thereunto.

Lubliner.
Lubliner - thank you for sharing that gut-wrenching history of your life long struggle. I too have had a personal struggle that’s lasted half of my 75 years. I have come to the realization that my God, who loves me as a father, is disciplining me for the terrible things I ve done and I find strength in knowing that when He is done with dealing a full measure of discipline- He will reward me with piece of mind.
Best wishes with your hardship.

Th

Lubliner - thank you for sharing that gut-wrenching history of your life long struggle. I too have had a personal struggle that’s lasted half of my 75 years. I have come to the realization that my God, who loves me as a father, is disciplining me for the terrible things I ve done and I find strength in knowing that when He is done with dealing a full measure of discipline- He will reward me with piece of mind.
Best wishes with your hardship.
Thank you. (Luke 6:32)
Lubliner.

It's possible that Lee's stature is being diminished as his reputation for integrity grows and praise for his conduct becomes more widely known. I never lose an opportunity to list his accomplishments or to point out inaccuracies in his legacy. Of course, some readers and listeners become angry, deny it, etc., but the proof is there if they are interested. If they're not interested, they could be the ones trying to remove his history. As for my own reaction, I am now planning a trip to Arlington.

I'd buy this place just for the fact that Lee lived there.

But, who would want to live in that congested area? Well, there is also an issue with the price. Might be a tad too expensive for me.

That marker removal story was a hoot.

Oh, Well. Reckon I'll go get some good ol' North Carolina 'cue (Eastern of course) and mull over it.

RoadDog

Parking in downtown Alexandria is problematic. I don´t know where previous owners parked. It´s a beautiful house, even apart from it´s historical connection. IIRC, the bedrooms are kinda small, though.
I used to think the same thing about NYC, and anyone that enjoys pedestrian traffic and being on foot would enjoy the house and its proximity to all they really need.
Lubliner.

Back