Lee Lee at Manassas II

KianGaf

Sergeant Major
I was watching a short biography on Lee and I have some questions ? The bio said that during the second battle of Manassas while out scouting the federal positions he was grazed by a sharpshooters bullet. Is this accurate. The bio also states that there is evidence to suggest he has mild heart attack before Gettysburg, I have only seen it said he had a bout of dysentery.

Lee was unable to ride a horse at Gettysburg but road in a wagon. It is my belief that Lee was having some kind of health issue at Gettysburg. It is said to have been heart trouble. I also have read that Lee was sick in bed during the North Anna battle. The stress on officers on both side must have been incredible. My respect goes out to them all. Good officers and bad alike.
When the US Army advanced in to Germany at the closing stages of WWII, U.S. Army officers were dropping like flies. Nervous break downs, physical exhaustion and even suicides were the norm. This is from "The Guns Last Light" by Rick Atkinson, the last book in the Liberation Trilogy. I highly recommend these three books for Civil War buffs, even though it's off topic.

Last edited:
Back