Lee and Jackson - the early days

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
I read this in an Amazon review of a book titled The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862

"In early 1862, Union troops under George B. McClellan had arrived within range of Richmond and threatened to take the Confederate capital. Robert E. Lee ordered Jackson to march north through the Shenandoah Valley, hoping to tie down Federal forces that might otherwise reinforce McClellan's troops. The strategy worked, and for two months the Confederates evaded and harassed their Union pursuers. Jackson's speed and audacity boosted plummeting Southern morale, and he emerged from the Valley as the Confederacy's greatest military idol. "

Well, am I nuts, or did not Jackson's campaign take place in April/May of 1862, before Lee took command in June? Or am I correct, but otherwise still nuts?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Sam:
All of the above. If the cobwebs haven't entirely obscured details, Lee was at Davis's right hand and in a position to recommend Jackson's maneuvering.
Ole

Yes!!

ole said:
Sam:
All of the above. If the cobwebs haven't entirely obscured details, Lee was at Davis's right hand and in a position to recommend Jackson's maneuvering.
Ole

Lee did recommend Jackson to clean the valley out. The plan did work. When Jackson did return from the valley Lee was in charge of the army.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)