Tell me more! Leather accoutrements -advice please

ConfederateCanuck

First Sergeant
Hi y'all.

I am looking for some reproduction leather accoutrements. I am looking for cartridge boxes and cap pouches that are of pretty good quality, but that don't cost an arm and a leg. I will be using these in the field for target shooting and hunting, so they gotta be durable and functional....nothing shoddy, and nothing super-expensive, please.

Is there a particular brand name, or a particular item on one of the vendor websites that you would recommend? The problem with many vendor websites is they don't name a particular brand, so I have no idea if it's the same item as another vendor, there are no specs on the quality/thickness of the leather, nor are there "reviews" where people rate their satisfaction with the product...so I am looking for your advice based on your own practical experience.

I am looking for a musket cap pouch, a 58 cal cartridge box (ideally the Enfield pattern), a cartridge box for a Sharps carbine, and a pistol cartridge box. If the Forum doesn't allow specific items/links from a website to be listed here, then please send me a PM. Ideally, I'd love to be able to see such items at a show, before I buy them, but it's been my experience that such vendors aren't at the shows...you just find odds and ends that people are selling off...am I wrong about that?

Thanks everyone for your help.

If the Forum doesn't allow specific items/links from a website to be listed here, then please send me a PM.
Members are allowed to reply with links to websites and specific items, but due to copyright concerns should always refrain from posting screenshots or snips from other websites. Good luck in your quest.

Has anyone ever bought the leather accoutrements from S&S Firearms? I see they have a good selection, but no idea if the stuff is any good. I am still considering possible vendors.
S & S is another decent source. Their merchandise isn't the stuff for the hardcore re-enactor, but it's suitable for the mainstream guys. I have bought some trousers and jackets from them which were pretty good. I did buy a cartridge box about 30 years ago from them, which is a little beat up but I still use it.

Has anyone ever bought the leather accoutrements from S&S Firearms? I see they have a good selection, but no idea if the stuff is any good. I am still considering possible vendors.
S&S comes to the N-SSA National Matches. The product they supply are bought and used by the shooters. The products they supply are from manufacturers and some imported. They hold up to the rough service shooters put them through. There is however Dells Leather works they are a mom and pop shop and he hand makes accouterments. Being hand made it may look more authentic and put together better. I have a cap box that I bought from a vendor that was manufactured. The fit is poor I loose caps out the sides of the flap. His when I examined it appeared to be a tighter fit which will lesson the chance of loosing caps. Cost for a cap box was $55 dollars and when I get a chance I plan on obtaining one. S&S charges $30 for theirs. It may cost a bit more but will provide better look for re-enactors and service for you. His web site is dellsleatherworks.com Like I said what he makes looks sturdy and good craftsmanship and made in USA.

S&S comes to the N-SSA National Matches. The product they supply are bought and used by the shooters. The products they supply are from manufacturers and some imported. They hold up to the rough service shooters put them through. There is however Dells Leather works they are a mom and pop shop and he hand makes accouterments. Being hand made it may look more authentic and put together better. I have a cap box that I bought from a vendor that was manufactured. The fit is poor I loose caps out the sides of the flap. His when I examined it appeared to be a tighter fit which will lesson the chance of loosing caps. Cost for a cap box was $55 dollars and when I get a chance I plan on obtaining one. S&S charges $30 for theirs. It may cost a bit more but will provide better look for re-enactors and service for you. His web site is dellsleatherworks.com Like I said what he makes looks sturdy and good craftsmanship and made in USA.
I will definitely check them out....thanks!

I can't help but notice the "eye candy" that Missouri Boot Company sells. It's pricey, but it looks amazing, and is also hand made. Can anyone vouch for the quality? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to end up buying the same items twice because they don't hold up or are otherwise unsatisfactory. I want to make an informed decision, so I really would appreciate feedback back from Forum members.

I will definitely check them out....thanks!

I can't help but notice the "eye candy" that Missouri Boot Company sells. It's pricey, but it looks amazing, and is also hand made. Can anyone vouch for the quality? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to end up buying the same items twice because they don't hold up or are otherwise unsatisfactory. I want to make an informed decision, so I really would appreciate feedback back from Forum members.
You can't go wrong with Missouri Boot and Shoe, I have two sets of CS leathers and a pair of shoes from them and are top notch. Just be aware they make their products to order and generally take a few months to get but that goes for any of the top quality makers. Dell's is also good and may have a few things stocked. L D Hanning is also very good, my Federal leathers came from him and top notch.

Anybody have any experience with the products made by C & D Jarnagin Company? Their website says:..."Our cartridge boxes and cap pouches are handmade here in our workshops. These boxes are made of oak tanned leather. All hand stitching is done in linen thread. Correct finials are turned for each box. We make the proper tins or block inserts for each box."

Missouri Boot & Shoe is top-notch but if that's more than you want to spend, C&D Jarnagin is very good too. Not quite in the top tier of authentic goods but good quality overall.

Missouri Boot & Shoe is top-notch but if that's more than you want to spend, C&D Jarnagin is very good too. Not quite in the top tier of authentic goods but good quality overall.
I ended up buying a .58 cal cartridge box, belts and cap pouch from Missouri Boot & Shoe, and a Sharps Carbine cartridge box and cap pouch from Dell's Leather Works. Feedback from Forum members really helped in identifying quality manufacturers (I am so glad I asked), but the final choice then was based on what each manufacturer made (some had several versions of the .58 cal cartridge box), whether they could add period markings, price, etc. I will actually have them in my hands next week....can't wait!

Thanks everyone for your help!

I ended up buying a .58 cal cartridge box, belts and cap pouch from Missouri Boot & Shoe, and a Sharps Carbine cartridge box and cap pouch from Dell's Leather Works. Feedback from Forum members really helped in identifying quality manufacturers (I am so glad I asked), but the final choice then was based on what each manufacturer made (some had several versions of the .58 cal cartridge box), whether they could add period markings, price, etc. I will actually have them in my hands next week....can't wait!

You won't be disappointed in either, very good choices. You'll probably be waiting a bit for MB&S but it will be worth it. I just got a new sword belt from Dell's and it came pretty quick and I'm very happy with it.

I expect you’ll be pleased.

Please post pics once you get them - inquiring minds want to know as others might be in the market. Thanks!
As requested, here are some pics of the two repro cartridge boxes that I finally got into my sweaty little paws. The first set of pics is for a Union carbine cartridge box that I bought for when I live fire the 1863 Sharps Carbine. This was purchased from Dell's Leathers Works, and let me tell you this thing is a beauty! :inlove: Excellent quality!
20211208_122731.jpg
20211208_122835.jpg
20211208_122936.jpg
20211208_122949.jpg
20211208_130604.jpg

This next cartridge box is a repro of an Atlanta Arsenal manufactured cartridge box for .577/.58 caliber muskets. This repro was made by Missouri Boot & Shoe. Another beauty! :inlove:Excellent quality! At the Franklin Show this past weekend, I took some pictures of an original Atlanta Arsenal box, which I was delighted to come across (wasn't expecting that)....haven't yet compared the pictures to the repro but looking forward to doing that.

20211208_123432.jpg
20211208_123458.jpg
20211208_123509.jpg
20211208_123612.jpg
20211208_123535.jpg

I usually don't splurge on stuff, but I am soooooooooo glad that i decided to spend the extra money on getting these from quality manufacturers, rather than buying something cheaper that would leave me wondering if I should have gotten something better. I can assure you I won't ever need to buy another one of these cartridge boxes...super-satisfied about the quality of these, the construction, the thickness and feel of the leather....really stoked and can't wait to strap these on in the field. :frantic:

I also bought matching cap pouches, but won't inundate you with more pictures unless people really want to see the cap pouches.

As requested, here are some pics of the two repro cartridge boxes that I finally got into my sweaty little paws. The first set of pics is for a Union carbine cartridge box that I bought for when I live fire the 1863 Sharps Carbine. This was purchased from Dell's Leathers Works, and let me tell you this thing is a beauty! :inlove: Excellent quality!
View attachment 424499View attachment 424500View attachment 424501View attachment 424502View attachment 424503

This next cartridge box is a repro of an Atlanta Arsenal manufactured cartridge box for .577/.58 caliber muskets. This repro was made by Missouri Boot & Shoe. Another beauty! :inlove:Excellent quality! At the Franklin Show this past weekend, I took some pictures of an original Atlanta Arsenal box, which I was delighted to come across (wasn't expecting that)....haven't yet compared the pictures to the repro but looking forward to doing that.

View attachment 424504View attachment 424505View attachment 424506View attachment 424507View attachment 424508

I usually don't splurge on stuff, but I am soooooooooo glad that i decided to spend the extra money on getting these from quality manufacturers, rather than buying something cheaper that would leave me wondering if I should have gotten something better. I can assure you I won't ever need to buy another one of these cartridge boxes...super-satisfied about the quality of these, the construction, the thickness and feel of the leather....really stoked and can't wait to strap these on in the field. :frantic:

I also bought matching cap pouches, but won't inundate you with more pictures unless people really want to see the cap pouches.
Good stuff and as said before great choices, can't go wrong with either vendor. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thank you! They look like real quality pieces and when I’m ready to purchase one myself I’ll be sure to use one of the vendors you selected based on your experiences.

Back