Gettysburg Scene of Pickett's Charge.jpg

Scene of Pickett's Charge and the Codori Farm

Round Top from Devil's Den.jpg

Little Round Top from Devil's Den

Spring House.jpg

Bliss barn spring house
http://members.tripod.com/bliss_barn/photogallery/photo00009578/real.htm

Last edited:
There are a bunch of pics on the site that Ken posted of the Bliss lane, etc., as well as the spring house pic he posted. I think they are really cool, because it's hard to find any period photos of the farm, considering the Union army torched it during the battle. I've been out to the site on the battlefield a few times, and though there are a few markers, mostly it's full of poison ivy, sticker bushes and groundhogs.

Love those pics! I haven't seen any of those before; especially the Bliss Spring House. Thanks for posting!

I would have loved to have visited before modern technology, power lines and paved roads.
It would have been a long dive on dirt roads for me. Well I could have taken a train. Rent a horse when I got there? Did horses have FM radios? One word "outhouses".

Glad I decided to tool through some posts from a few days ago, missed these the first time around- sometimes threads end up on another page very quickly here! Healthy forum!

Thanks for these, I've never bumped into several, my goodness! It does make me smile, though- had never BEEN to the Devil's Den/Round Top perspective before last weekend, so funny to see the same photo I have in the Gettysburg file now. Thank you!

When was this? Looks like when I was just there the end of May. How sadly quick the vegetation grows back up.
Trees and bushes starting to get into Devil's Den again and this...the Slaughter Pen, should have almost nothing green in it. They just don't have the money/manpower to keep up with the excellent restoration work they did not that long ago.

When was this? Looks like when I was just there the end of May. How sadly quick the vegetation grows back up.
Trees and bushes starting to get into Devil's Den again and this...the Slaughter Pen, should have almost nothing green in it. They just don't have the money/manpower to keep up with the excellent restoration work they did not that long ago.

We were there the weekend of June 21st, 22nd? It was fairly grown up, although truly didn't spoil a thing! Of course, I'm not familiar enough with the restoration work to ascertain what was begun as far as clearing it out. I do seem to remember some of the forum members talking about areas looking different than they used- maybe that's what they were referring to! Tended to be SO distracted the whole 2 days, tough to remember conversations! :smile:

These are all over the place, time wise, thought I'd stick them here instead of starting a new thread. Seems a waste! I'm certain they've been seen before by most, just in case some haven't bumped into the. Just because some of us stare at these things until our eyes bleed doesn't mean everyone does! :smile:

This is that posed photo in the Slaughter Pen? It's listed as the place where Berdan's Sharpshooters held their position. What strikes me as funny about how the photographer had the poor dead guys pose is every, single one died with his face to the camera. These 2 at the left end managed to maintain a hold on their rifles, too- the second on in disallowed it from sliding down the rock!

gb dead posed at lrt 2 berdans shrp shooters.jpg

This was merely listed as ' Extreme Right Flank ", so would make it exactly where? I think I DO know, am not confident enough with Gettysburg to SAY it!! :whistling:
gb extreme r flank.jpg

More LRT Breastworks. It's SO odd, for all the anti-LRT backlash " Killer Angels ", and attention being given to the reast of the battle now ( don't anyone get started.... ) , an awful lot of the old pics sure are of those breastworks, inner and outer shots, aren't they? OR. Somewhere exist shots like this from other parts of the battlefield, these just surfaced because people thought they'd be worth a ton post- book and movie.
gb lrt breastworks stereocrad.jpg

Pickerill Collection- haven't had time to Google what that may have been. It's now LoC so perfectly fine to use it.
gb lrt pickerill collection.jpg

Here's a pic, one of a pasted-on-cardboard, from a collection, from Day 1. Well known shots were snipped from that board- hadn't noticed this one before?
gb new pic day one.jpg

Gettysburg Orphanage- must do a thread. What began as a SUPER, super idea and cause became a nightmare on top of nightmare filled with unimaginable horrors and tragedies for countless children. The people of Gettysburg had placed their trust in someone who violated it- dreadfully. BAD story.
gb orphans 1.jpg

The HQ of the Sanitary Commision in town- love this because of all the packing boxes piled along the side- like cardboard boxes today. I have a few of these from when my grgrandfather had a general store in Watkins, New York. Much more character than cardboard!

This is a fairly common photo- possibly a ' real ' photo of the Slaughter Pen? Do not know this for certain. With battlefield photos, sometimes do not know. Those famous shots of dead soldiers, horribly, sadly real We've seen the posed pic which is not- do not know enough to know about this one yet!
gb slaughter pen.jpg

Attachments

• gb san comm gb.jpg
    gb san comm gb.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 328
These are all over the place, time wise, thought I'd stick them here instead of starting a new thread. Seems a waste! I'm certain they've been seen before by most, just in case some haven't bumped into the. Just because some of us stare at these things until our eyes bleed doesn't mean everyone does! :smile:

This is that posed photo in the Slaughter Pen? It's listed as the place where Berdan's Sharpshooters held their position. What strikes me as funny about how the photographer had the poor dead guys pose is every, single one died with his face to the camera. These 2 at the left end managed to maintain a hold on their rifles, too- the second on in disallowed it from sliding down the rock!

View attachment 45805

This was merely listed as ' Extreme Right Flank ", so would make it exactly where? I think I DO know, am not confident enough with Gettysburg to SAY it!! :whistling:
View attachment 45806

More LRT Breastworks. It's SO odd, for all the anti-LRT backlash " Killer Angels ", and attention being given to the reast of the battle now ( don't anyone get started.... ) , an awful lot of the old pics sure are of those breastworks, inner and outer shots, aren't they? OR. Somewhere exist shots like this from other parts of the battlefield, these just surfaced because people thought they'd be worth a ton post- book and movie.
View attachment 45807

Pickerill Collection- haven't had time to Google what that may have been. It's now LoC so perfectly fine to use it.
View attachment 45808

Here's a pic, one of a pasted-on-cardboard, from a collection, from Day 1. Well known shots were snipped from that board- hadn't noticed this one before?
View attachment 45809

Gettysburg Orphanage- must do a thread. What began as a SUPER, super idea and cause became a nightmare on top of nightmare filled with unimaginable horrors and tragedies for countless children. The people of Gettysburg had placed their trust in someone who violated it- dreadfully. BAD story.
View attachment 45810
The HQ of the Sanitary Commision in town- love this because of all the packing boxes piled along the side- like cardboard boxes today. I have a few of these from when my grgrandfather had a general store in Watkins, New York. Much more character than cardboard!

This is a fairly common photo- possibly a ' real ' photo of the Slaughter Pen? Do not know this for certain. With battlefield photos, sometimes do not know. Those famous shots of dead soldiers, horribly, sadly real We've seen the posed pic which is not- do not know enough to know about this one yet!
View attachment 45812

Great photos, Annie! But you're filling up the photo storage on my ipad . . . Thanks!:smile:

Back