Last to hold the flag of the 7th Virginia

Flag mentions:

" ... our flag was planted upon the breastworks of the enemy. ... The colors of this regiment were gallantly borne and were only relinquished then death took the power from its bearer to protect them no longer." (Report of Capt. William T. Fry, AAG of Kemper's brigade, in Supplement to the Official Records ... Fry was writing from Headquarters, Seventh Virginia Infantry, July 5, 1863. Presumably he was placed in charge of the regiment. However, a copy of the same report was also found in the Brake Collection, U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA, but it is attributed to Captain A. N. Jones of Company K.)

"We rushed up to their works, there a hand-to-hand encounter took place over the stone wall, the point we reached. We did not have men enough left to go over. It was here we lost our colors while the brave little Sparks, the last one of the color guard, while trying to place them on the wall, was shot in the head by a Yankee officer who snatched them over just to our left." (Reminiscences of Edward Howard Compton, A Survivor of Second Battle of Manassas and the Battle of Gettysburg. Obtained from the Warren Rifles Confederate Museum, Front Royal, Virginia.) Presumably this is 1st Corporal Champ C. Sparks of Company G, listed by his compiled service records as missing, then turning up as a prisoner at Fort Delaware, where he died on October 3, 1863.
Edward howard Compton is my great grandfather. I have copy of his full account of
Flag mentions:

" ... our flag was planted upon the breastworks of the enemy. ... The colors of this regiment were gallantly borne and were only relinquished then death took the power from its bearer to protect them no longer." (Report of Capt. William T. Fry, AAG of Kemper's brigade, in Supplement to the Official Records ... Fry was writing from Headquarters, Seventh Virginia Infantry, July 5, 1863. Presumably he was placed in charge of the regiment. However, a copy of the same report was also found in the Brake Collection, U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA, but it is attributed to Captain A. N. Jones of Company K.)

"We rushed up to their works, there a hand-to-hand encounter took place over the stone wall, the point we reached. We did not have men enough left to go over. It was here we lost our colors while the brave little Sparks, the last one of the color guard, while trying to place them on the wall, was shot in the head by a Yankee officer who snatched them over just to our left." (Reminiscences of Edward Howard Compton, A Survivor of Second Battle of Manassas and the Battle of Gettysburg. Obtained from the Warren Rifles Confederate Museum, Front Royal, Virginia.) Presumably this is 1st Corporal Champ C. Sparks of Company G, listed by his compiled service records as missing, then turning up as a prisoner at Fort Delaware, where he died on October 3, 1863.
Flag mentions:

Went back to order it today but now its gone. Can't find it anywhere, now.
I have a copy and a typed version. Edward Howard Compton is my great grandfather and namneske. I'm jerry Howard Cave. You can reach me at [email protected]. He write his accounts if surviving Pickett's charge and Longstreets attack at sexpcond manassas.

Back