Last Full Measure

I haven't heard anything about a movie version of "Last Full Measure" in quite some time.

There was considerable doubt that such a movie would ever be made, after "Gods and Generals" proved to be less than an overwhelming success at the box office.

The last I recall hearing was that plans to make "Last Full Measure" had not been abandoned, but weren't going forward, either.

If you've heard any more optimistic news, I'd be glad to hear more.

I thought "Gawds & Ginerals" made it big on the DVD & rental circuit, thereby providing impetus for "Lost Fools Measure."
biggrin.gif

According to a article that I read, the movie has been contracted and in it's planning stages. Filming hasn't started yet.

Max

Thanks for the info gang. I thought the movie had been in production already. I sure hope that they at least make it for TNT if they don't release it in the theaters.

Jen

Honestly,

I believe making this movie is a relative "pipe dream". Though GaG faired respectably in DVD sales, the actual theater gross was horrible.

I did a pre-screen in Indianapolis and for every good point there were many bad ones. I honestly believe they dropped the ball on this movie.

A perfect example is JLC and his speech before the battle. Honestly, that speech was insane! Perhaps if they would have incorporated the speech behind scenes of the battle, it would have had a more desired result. I honestly expected one of the men to club JLC to shut him up!
eek.gif

The sad part is in the Sharpsburg cut they did seem to due this. What happened? Another thing, watching the men leave their family to head off to war did far more for me than listening to Miss Beale talk about "Young" John and the sweet essence of freedom.

Another example, we see no Jackson in the Valley... well, to resolve this why not show him doing initial planning, cut battles, men marching,maps showing movements, and dynamic music. Hell, that could explain the Valley in only a few minutes and get the point across.

For every great vision, I think our director must have been drinking moonshine in regards to many other moments in this movie.

Sadly, they have even failed in releasing the 6 hour directors cut. I believe they chose many scenes that could have been left out, while many others could have been added. In the end, we, the audience, must suffer.

Regards,
S. Harris

In fact, here is what I said after seeing the movie for the first time...
eek.gif
Don't get me wrong, I really want to see LFM, but I doubt it will happen any time soon. Even Turner said so.

CWT,

I went to the Indianapolis showing on Wed at the UA complex. I really am unsure of what to say about this movie after seeing it. Gettysburg is a cut below G&G that, I truly believe. However, I do not think this movie will have huge box office returns. I due believe it will due very well in DVD sales and on network TV. I think what we have here is another cult classic.

This is not a movie, but a journey. That, is were the problem will lie for most of the public. I would refer to it as something like "The Stand" something you watch on a Saturday afternoon in your home. We all realize it's nice to take a break and eat a snack. Hell, if you fall asleep you can always hit rewind!

Longstreet and Lee you ask, Well, you see them in rare glimpses on the screen. This is a story about Jackson. Longstreet plays as much of a role as AP Hill in this version. In fact, I think Hill has more lines and is in more scenes. That being said, Conway and Howell steal the show with the scenes they are in. Jeff, well, Jeff is J.L.C. only a little heavier, Hancock the same. Burnside reminded me of a thin Ron Jeremy for some reason! (LOL!) Also, we see the usuall cast of characters from Getty only a little older and wiser from the last 10 years.

This is not Getty, so if you go in thinking that, you will either be very happy or rudely awakened. As for people saying its choppy, yes, it is choppy in some parts. Roll with the punches you know the history and timeline. For those who dont they wont care anyway.

Finally, a Union army that actually gets dirty!! J.L.C. finally gets dirt on that pristine uniform before L.R.T. The guys look a lot more realistic in this flick compared to Getty. No chubby Rebs I could spot. Also, look to the Ist Brigade in training some are in old Revolutionary uniforms. (K, it may be war of 1812, but, you get the point) As for "comic relief" it is in the movie.

I have heard some say this is a very "Pro-Southern" movie, I really did not see it. We may follow Southern Characters however, I did not see the film as "Pro-Southern" I also did not see the film as "Pro-Slavery" if anything it brought into question the very issue of slavery.

I think what some are complaining about is the fact you could have black characters who cared for a family for years and really loved the family, but want to be free also. I guess this is not PC enough these days. Both Jackson and J.L.C. speak on the issue as well as a blach man. Between these three you see it is a complicated issue. Not black and white like we think today.

Battle scenes are better however, I wish they would have made the Stone Wall scenes more violent and with more men involved near the wall. I really though they lost something in sound quality during the Stone Wall scenes. Bull Run had stronger sounds of musket and cannon discharge. So after that, Fredericksburg was sort of a letdown for me. Shoot, it may have been the UA sound system.

I also thought they could have cut down on Fredericksburg, compacted it and gotten the same response from the crowd. They due make up for some of this in the night scenes. We also needed more Chancellorsville! I really was dissapointed when Lee showed up at the burning home! I have always thought of the men in celebration chanting Lee like in Getty. The type of shouting the Union would have heard on Stafford Heights. No such thing here! Well, maybe in the DVD!

All this being said I would give the movie a 3 out of 5 for Civil War buffs and a 2.5 for others. I really think the time and dialogue will turn off the younger crowd ( I really do not expect this to attract a younger crowd). Most people I saw at the movie were in the 40-50 age group. My problem is I cant get the darn movie out of my head! Well, seeing it on Friday also! tee hee!

I really think the DVD sales will be crucial to the making of LFM. I really want to see the other 2.5 hours left on the floor. I think it will only enhance the movie.

Guys, go see the movie yourselves and decide!

Hello,
This might help.. I am a member of the Historical Entertainment Film group.THere hasnt been a call for extras or parts for the Last Full Measure so this means that filming hasnt even started. I dunno if there will be another movie. I will try to find out more info.

Hello I am new in this forum and I am lokking forward to interesting discussions.

I really hopa this movie will come sometime.

The options for the producing "Last Full Measure" have been allowed to expire. It is not likely Turner will ever consent to financing this 'project'.
Chuck in Il.

yankeewoman said:
Turner was a lousy actor anyway! As Patton, he would have made a better body!!

When I was in the theater watching Gods and Generals everyone was being very quiet until Turner made his brief appearance and then all started laughing.

Anyway, I liked Gods and Generals and am hoping that Last Full Measure will eventually be made.

What's the matter with you ladies? I would have followed Turner into battle. So long as my bayonet was fixed and no one is looking. :rolleyes:

I was just looking for information on "The Last Full Measure" today when I ran across this forum. I really hope that movie is made. I loved "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" (although, I agree, Turner's appearance was a little much).

Well, I don't know about Turner being a good actor. It just seemed weird to see him up there, even when he commented on the fact that there were very few "old" men in the army on either side, and that the average age was 18 and about 120 lbs, and the average re-enactor is 40 and 190lbs. So for him to show up in it was purely uneventful. But I do hope that some where down the line they'll make it. Who know's maybe someone other then Turner needs to pick it up.

Jenna

I have nothing bad to say about Ted Turner being in the movies he had a big part in funding and producing. And he is definitely easier to look at than Phil Gramm.

True, if anyone is willing to put up so much money and effort to make a movie like Turner did, there's nothing wrong with him making an appearance in it. It just kind of caught me off guard, though. It's not every day that he suddenly shows up in the movie you're watching. But if he wants to be a part of it, he can go right ahead.

Back