Discussion Last Civil War Widow Dies

Dave DuBrucq

Corporal
Yes, she was the last living widow of a Civil War Soldier. Her story is an interesting one and she didn't reveal it to anyone until late in her life. It was more a marriage of convenience, and she lived at her parents home making visits to assist her elderly husband. She applied for and was granted a pension. She never remarried.

Kyle Kalasnik

Corporal
I have read quite a few of these stories, elderly veterans in their 80s and 90s and brides in their late teens. Seemed “somewhat common” due to the bad economic times.

I was not alive back then, so I don’t know what the stigma attached to this was (if any).

My maternal grandmother is 91, she was born in June 1929. Born and raised in WV, south of Charleston. I’m gonna give her ring and see if she ever heard of situations like these and if she ever heard any “gossip” about it.

Even though there were not many veterans left alive, if there were and this happened, this was also just a bit before she was aware of situations like this and discussions that “were not for children’s ears”.

Very interesting story though.

Yes, she was the last living widow of a Civil War Soldier. Her story is an interesting one and she didn't reveal it to anyone until late in her life. It was more a marriage of convenience, and she lived at her parents home making visits to assist her elderly husband. She applied for and was granted a pension. She never remarried.
Per the linked article in the op : "After Bolin’s death in 1939, she did not seek his pension."

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Yes I saw that, very odd. Due to that being the reason she married him and the hard economic times.

All in all, a very interesting story.
That was the reason he asked her to marry him. Her purpose must have been more humanitarian with a feeling of indebtedness. By the time he passed on the economy had bounced back due to the looming war.
Lubliner.

Dave DuBrucq

Corporal
Per the linked article in the op : "After Bolin’s death in 1939, she did not seek his pension."
You are correct, She did not immediately seek the pension. This had something to do with threats from Bolin's daughter who apparently was none too happy about the marriage arrangement. This stiory first surfaced a few years ago and it did not get much attention then. Helen did not want the public to know, whether she was uncomfortable with it or or for other reasons, she kept it a secret. It is my understanding she applied later in life. Perhaps not. In either event, she was entitled to it. Still, it is an interesting story. She was not the only person to marry an elderly Civil War Veteran, but she may well have been the last.

Dave DuBrucq

Corporal
Pension or no pension, I would be curious the size of his estate...........just out of curiosity........
As I recall, Bolin was not inordinately wealthy, but he did live comfortably. I also know he had at least one daughter, but have read only that she was unhappy with Helen over the marriage thing. Perhaps the daughter thought she was after his possessions. Anyone's guess. I think he was grateful Helen had spent time with him and cared for some of his needs. The marriage was one of convenience and I seriously doubt it was ever consummated.

Kyle Kalasnik

Corporal
My Dad was born in 1920, and my Mom in 1922, and by all accounts of the family I heard society was strict and foreboding for any genteel class of citizen. The moral rectitude was almost suffocating. They married in 1942 after 4 years of courtship. It never got any looser until the mid-fifties.
Lubliner.
A different time for sure, just look at how people dressed in comparison to today.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
A different time for sure, just look at how people dressed in comparison to today.
I went to a private academy from the 7th-12th grades, and was made to wear a coat and tie, Sunday Dress. This was 1966 to 1972 and only the teachers' lounge had air-conditioning. Let me add that the last time I wore a coat and tie might have been 1980 at my grandmother's funeral. I guess that upbringing was enough for me. I never want to be young again. I just want to keep growing older.
Lubliner.

Dave DuBrucq

Corporal

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
I would not call her a civil war widow just because she was married to a veteran. She didn't live during the war.

When we look at marriages of that type, Well as a economic deal it makes sense...
She takes care of him for a few years in return for a life long pension. Sound like a good deal for both of them.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I would not call her a civil war widow just because she was married to a veteran. She didn't live during the war.

When we look at marriages of that type, Well as a economic deal it makes sense...
She takes care of him for a few years in return for a life long pension. Sound like a good deal for both of them.
I can agree with that. 'The last widow of all Civil War Veterans has died.'
Lubliner.