Restricted Largest Confederate Monument In The South Is Coming Down

JerryD

Private
Tourists that go on a tour of the capital building you have a tour explaining the history and importance of each person-statue in the building.
I was actually talking about the statutes in the parks and traffic circles in DC. We have a major park located in a prime space in DC known as Farragut Square, and none of my friends or family have the slightest idea of who Farragut is. As for the statutes in the Capitol Building, if you have ever taken a tour you know that there is over a hundred statues in the Capitol. Each State gets at least two. So when you take a tour they only highlight a few and they tend to focus on more obscure people, and avoid Confederates. In fact, as you may already know, some states are already takin out statutes of Confederate leaders.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
I was actually talking about the statutes in the parks and traffic circles in DC. We have a major park located in a prime space in DC known as Farragut Square, and none of my friends or family have the slightest idea of who Farragut is. As for the statutes in the Capitol Building, if you have ever taken a tour you know that there is over a hundred statues in the Capitol. Each State gets at least two. So when you take a tour they only highlight a few and they tend to focus on more obscure people, and avoid Confederates. In fact, as you may already know, some states are already takin out statutes of Confederate leaders.
With just a quick glance...

Mississippi: Jefferson Davis & James George, both Confederates.

North Carolina: Zebulon Vance - Confederate

South Carolina: John Calhoun & Wade Hampton III

Yes, Alabama & Virginia have removed their Confederates. I'd be willing to bet that most people who applauded such action, never even knew those statues existed. Robert E Lee being replaced by, Barbara Johns..?! laughable. The overwhelming majority of folks, even folks who applaud Lee's removal, don't know who she is, & had to google her name. She's supposed to represent Virginia & her 400+ year history..? Gimmie a break.... I wonder how long until Virginia's statue of George Washington is removed..? 🤮

GwilymT

Sergeant Major

Yes, Alabama & Virginia have removed their Confederates. I'd be willing to bet that most people who applauded such action, never even knew those statues existed. Robert E Lee being replaced by, Barbara Johns..?! laughable. The overwhelming majority of folks, even folks who applaud Lee's removal, don't know who she is, & had to google her name. She's supposed to represent Virginia & her 400+ year history..? Gimmie a break.... I wonder how long until Virginia's statue of George Washington is removed..? 🤮
Four out of those five have no business being recognized in the Capitol of the United States of America as they fought against the United States for one of the worst causes for which a people ever fought. Hopefully they are removed soon. If some folks want to have some shrine somewhere to “honor” racists, traitors, and slavers they can have at it. The Capitol is no place for such hatred.

It is regrettable that some think Marse Robert, leader of a rebellion to make safe race based slavery being replaced by a fighter for equality and civil rights is “laughable”. Perhaps there’s more to history than a myopic CSA based view? Perhaps more folks in Virginia want to honor those who fight for equality than honor those who fought for the opposite.

Last edited:

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Four out of those five have no business being recognized in the Capitol of the United States of America as they fought against the United States for one of the worst causes for which a people ever fought. Hopefully they are removed soon. If some folks want to have some shrine somewhere to “honor” racists, traitors, and slavers they can have at it. The Capitol is no place for such hatred.

It is regrettable that some think Marse Robert, leader of a rebellion to make safe race based slavery being replaced by a fighter for equality and civil rights is “laughable”. Perhaps there’s more to history than a myopic CSA based view? Perhaps more folks in Virginia want to honor those who fight for equality than honor those who fought for the opposite.
Yes. I think putting Barbara Johns in the capital as a representative of Virginia, & a replacement for Lee is laughable. It's an insult to Virginia in my opinion. It's simply propaganda put forth by the pc cult. Most Virginians had/have no idea who she was. While her story may be significant to some, she's one of thousands of people who are/were notable yet, nowhere near as significant to Virginia's 400+ year history. The kicker is, she's NOT even a native Virginian..! She was born in New York... :laugh:

Look at this list of actual Virginians. There's many people on this list who were very significant to the history of Virginia, & were actually natural born Virginians. https://www.virginia.org/plan-your-trip/about-virginia/famous-virginians/historical-virginians/ Barbara Johns was more significant to the history of VA than everybody on this list...?!? Hardly. Her placement in the capital, is just another in the growing list, of pokes in the eye. Again.... laughable.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Yes. I think putting Barbara Johns in the capital as a representative of Virginia, & a replacement for Lee is laughable. It's an insult to Virginia in my opinion. It's simply propaganda put forth by the pc cult. Most Virginians had/have no idea who she was. While her story may be significant to some, she's one of thousands of people who are/were notable yet, nowhere near as significant to Virginia's 400+ year history. The kicker is, she's NOT even a native Virginian..! She was born in New York... :laugh:

Look at this list of actual Virginians. There's many people on this list who were very significant to the history of Virginia, & were actually natural born Virginians. https://www.virginia.org/plan-your-trip/about-virginia/famous-virginians/historical-virginians/ Barbara Johns was more significant to the history of VA than everybody on this list...?!? Hardly. Her placement in the capital, is just another in the growing list, of pokes in the eye. Again.... laughable.
How is replacing Lee with a civil rights activist a “poke in the eye” unless the Lee statue is a statue to white supremacy? If honoring the Lee statue and the CSA has no white supremacist implications then the fact that the statue is being changed to that of an African American civil rights activist should have no added consequence or “eye pokes” outside of someone just wanting Lee there. Would replacing Lee with, say, Patrick Henry be a “poke in the eye”?

Lots of folks, in Virginia and around the country, see confederate monuments and memorials as more than “eye pokes” to African Americans.

Last edited:

Cycom

Sergeant
How does the removal of a monument or statue equate to erasing history? I really don’t get it. All throughout history monuments have been erected and taken down for a multitude of reasons given the time and place yet none of that equates to erasing history.
Would removing a statue of Caesar Augustus from public view be an example of erasing history to you?

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
How is replacing Lee with a civil rights activist a “poke in the eye” unless the Lee statue is a statue to white supremacy? If honoring the Lee statue and the CSA has no white supremacist implications then the fact that the statue is being changed to that of an African American civil rights activist should have no added consequence or “eye pokes” outside of someone just wanting Lee there. Would replacing Lee with, say, Patrick Henry be a “poke in the eye”?

Lots of folks, in Virginia and around the country, see confederate monuments and memorials as more than “eye pokes” to African Americans.
It's been explained to you repeatedly. I get the impression you are not really interested in understanding different points of view.

I provided a list of actual Virginians who were historically significant to Virginia. While I think Lee should've stayed, I would be satisfied with any of them, over the New York born, Barbara Johns.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant

I thought Joseph Wheeler was still there.

You know what other slavers are still there? Washington. Andrew Jackson. Sam Houston. Stephen Austin.

A few guys who voted against the Civil Rights Act are in there too, like Barry Goldwater.

You want to rip them out too?
Edited.

Last edited by a moderator:

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
I thought Joseph Wheeler was still there.

You know what other slavers are still there? Washington. Andrew Jackson. Sam Houston. Stephen Austin.

A few guys who voted against the Civil Rights Act are in there too, like Barry Goldwater.

You want to rip them out too?
Edited.
That would be up to the congressional delegation, government, and voters from each state. If they wish it then I don’t see an issue with it.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
That would be up to the congressional delegation, government, and voters from each state. If they wish it then I don’t see an issue with it.
They did already. That's why Davis, Stephens, Wheeler, Vance, Calhoun, Houston, Austin, Judge White are there.

Only reason why Lee is gone is because out-of-staters moved to Virginia over the years and drastically changed the state's voting patterns. Old Virginia that made Lee possible is gone.