Largest amount of armed Confederates in a single photo?

I'm not familiar with formations. What would his rank be in that position?

Looks like a Regimental Line of Battle. They would be lined up in companies going from A-K, with Company A being farthest away in this shot and Company K being the men closest to the camera. If they were actually doing it 100% correct in the photo, then that would be a 2nd Lt.

They had two 2nd Lt's in April 61, so it's plausible that he is either:
Senior 2nd Lt Sidney Minniece, a 26 year old lawyer living in Hernando, MS when war started. He died of tuberculosis in December 1862.
Junior 2nd Lt George T. Banks, a 25 year old farmer also from Hernando. He did not reenlist when his service was up in March 1862 and died in Memphis in 1912.

The two other officers of Company K at the time were:
1st Lt George Wright, 37 year old lawyer from Hernando. Can't find any further service for him after his enlistment ran out in March 62.
Captain Thomas White, 36 year old also from Hernando. Eventually promoted to Colonel following Battle of Shiloh. When the 9th disbanded he spent the rest of the war in the Inspector General's office for Army of Tennessee.

"1861 [i.e. 1863]"

Well in that case I'm going to split the difference and go with that photo likely being taken in 1862, haha. I'm guessing it was taken shortly after they were formed. There just isn't much about that photo that feels 1863. I know that is one hell of a presumption to make but nothing about that photo has the look of a unit that has been in existence for a year or more. They seem way too "uniformly uniformed", so to speak.
Anyone's guess on the date, however, I believe some consider it a ca. 1863 image as they are wearing gray jackets and military caps similar to types produced and distributed by the CS Army's clothing bureaus after December, 1862, when the army was to provide clothing to all CS troops. They made gray jackets, of domestic or imported cloth, near universally. One of these clothing bureau operations was based at Charleston. Prior, most received "clothing money" to purchase their own duds, "uniform" or not...

Here's some from Pensacola in 1861...

f912a4a732aedf0d99357f5faa56a088.jpg

part-5-ms-art-pensacola-ribbed-frocks_orig.jpg

Looks like a Regimental Line of Battle. They would be lined up in companies going from A-K, with Company A being farthest away in this shot and Company K being the men closest to the camera. If they were actually doing it 100% correct in the photo, then that would be a 2nd Lt.

They had two 2nd Lt's in April 61, so it's plausible that he is either:
Senior 2nd Lt Sidney Minniece, a 26 year old lawyer living in Hernando, MS when war started. He died of tuberculosis in December 1862.
Junior 2nd Lt George T. Banks, a 25 year old farmer also from Hernando. He did not reenlist when his service was up in March 1862 and died in Memphis in 1912.

The two other officers of Company K at the time were:
1st Lt George Wright, 37 year old lawyer from Hernando. Can't find any further service for him after his enlistment ran out in March 62.
Captain Thomas White, 36 year old also from Hernando. Eventually promoted to Colonel following Battle of Shiloh. When the 9th disbanded he spent the rest of the war in the Inspector General's office for Army of Tennessee.
Oh thanks for that. I was wondering if there was any possible way to figure out who he was based on his position on the line.

Handful might even be an exaggeration. It's the same ones we've all seen that I'm thinking of.

4th GA

View attachment 416609

21st NC

View attachment 416610

3rd AR State Troops

View attachment 416611

5th GA

View attachment 416612

1st GA

View attachment 416613
These are great pictures, esp. since they show musicians. Several of the drummers have bass drums--it's rare to see pictures of those in CW Field Music units. The fellow in the 3rd AR State Troops field music has one of the biggest bass drum I've seen!

Back