Lancaster Bayonets Used on the Confederate Mendenhall Jones Gardner Rifle?

Toast5

Cadet
Hello,

I have read from several sources (albeit all online) that the Mendenhall Jones Gardner Rifles were designed to accommodate the British Lancaster sword bayonet. I have been unable to find a single picture of one of the rifles sporting them. In fact, the only Mendenhall Jones Gardner rifle with a bayonet I was able to find a picture of was with a yataghan-style bayonet by Froelich. I know they are rare rifles though, and that seems to be the likely reason that pictures are very limited. I wanted to ask here to see if anybody knew if it was actually true if Lancaster bayonets fit this rifle, as it has only thus far been suggested to me in text. If it is the case that the bayonet does fit the rifle, I wanted to ask if there would be specific markings (or a lack thereof) or anything that would possibly suggest that a Lancaster bayonet had been exported for this rifle rather than for British use.

Best regards,

I just tried a Lancaster Sappers & Miners bayonet on 5 different N.C. {makers} and a Florence Armory referb, and No Bueno !, the bayonet won't even go on the muzzle at all, so sorry, your information is incorrect. Kenansville/Froelich will fit.

BUT. it of course fits on a Pattern 1855 Sappers & Miners short rifle as it should. Here's some photos of the set-up.

The description tag saves more text...above.
20210613_114350_resized (2).jpg

20210613_114158_resized (2).jpg

20210613_114710_resized (2).jpg

B'Ham. Crown/SH/C Sinclair Hamiltons' export stamp for CSA. Sorry on this photo, but the wrist on the stock is well worn.
20210613_114557_resized (2).jpg

I just tried a Lancaster Sappers & Miners bayonet on 5 different N.C. {makers} and a Florence Armory referb, and No Bueno !, the bayonet won't even go on the muzzle at all, so sorry, your information is incorrect. Kenansville/Froelich will fit.

BUT. it of course fits on a Pattern 1855 Sappers & Miners short rifle as it should. Here's some photos of the set-up.

The description tag saves more text...above.
View attachment 404634
View attachment 404635

View attachment 404636
B'Ham. Crown/SH/C Sinclair Hamiltons' export stamp for CSA. Sorry on this photo, but the wrist on the stock is well worn.
View attachment 404637
Thank you very much for the reply and pictures! Great to get information from somebody who has the rifles. I really appreciate it, as I was having no luck looking elsewhere about this particular topic.

Back