VT Lakeview Cemetery, Burlington, Vermont

Vermont is a rather difficult state to research because so much information is kept at the town level. Burlington--besides being very beautiful--has an interesting history: its plan was laid out by Ira Allen (my favorite VT historical figure) and it was here that his brother, Ethan Allen (of the Green Mountain Boys) died. In 1813 it was the site of a face-off between the British and a company of American light dragoons--the American unit was headed by Major-General Wade Hampton (whose grandson, and namesake, served for the CSA).
Every state has different records kept in different places at different times. It's a challenge!

Every state has different records kept in different places at different times. It's a challenge!
Alas, it's more than a challenge. New England states tended to do this and, when the state governments took over maintaining Vitals, some municipalities happily sent copies to the state while others sent only some records and still others sent nothing. This means that it is hard to know if the record is available, let alone try to depend on the internet. Small towns in Connecticut were notorious for records being kept in the attics of former officials. :cold: However, the Massachusetts records are really good.

Fortunately, New England is a lovely place to visit (if you avoid winter)! Places like Burlington are worth seeing--even without the impetus of research☺️ and these soldiers have chosen well!

Alas, it's more than a challenge. New England states tended to do this and, when the state governments took over maintaining Vitals, some municipalities happily sent copies to the state while others sent only some records and still others sent nothing. This means that it is hard to know if the record is available, let alone try to depend on the internet. Small towns in Connecticut were notorious for records being kept in the attics of former officials. :cold: However, the Massachusetts records are really good.

Fortunately, New England is a lovely place to visit (if you avoid winter)! Places like Burlington are worth seeing--even without the impetus of research☺️ and these soldiers have chosen well!
Well, I have been to Adamant to look up a buddy. One doesn't just pass through Adamant, where the village general store/co-op has about 8 political, fraternal, and social functions. Beautiful place.

LaViewStone_D.jpg

Daniel William Stowe, about 1839-1864, was born in Middlebury, Vermont. He enlisted in Company A of the 6th Vermont Infantry Regiment as a private in December of 1863. In May of 1864 he suffered a gunshot wound to his right thigh at the Battle of the Wilderness. After being treated in Washington, DC, he was transferred to Baxter General Hospital in Burlington in July. He died there of smallpox December 11, 1864. He was buried on the hospital grounds. In 1874 his remains, along with others buried at the hospital, were reinterred in the GAR plot at Lakeview Cemetery.

LaViewStone.jpg

James Allen Stone, 1844-1887, was born in Westford, Vermont. He enlisted in the 6th Vermont Infantry Regiment, Company I, as a private in October of 1861. He became ill several times, requiring hospitalization in Vermont, Rhode Island, and Virginia. A farmer, he must have had experience with animals: While at the convalescent camp he was detailed to work with the camp's horses and then as a teamster. He was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, and sent to the General Hospital in Brattleboro, Vermont. He mustered out with his company there in October of 1864. He returned to Burlington where he became a saloonkeeper, eventually owning the City Hotel. It was evidently a large enterprise; the probate records for Stone's estate contain page after page of listings for the contents of the many rooms in his home and business. Stone was killed at the age of 43 in what remains to this day Vermont's worst railroad disaster. The Vermont Central Railroad's Boston-Montreal "Night Express" hit a broken rail and jumped the tracks just as it approached a bridge over the White River. The four cars plunged 50 feet into the river bed and hit the ice, where they caught fire. Between fifty and sixty people were killed. Stone had been to Boston on business and was bringing back with him two women who planned to work at the hotel. Both women were injured. Stone's badly burned body was identified by his tailor, who recognized the distinctive buttons on a recently made suit. Over sixty members of the local GAR post braved a severe storm to attend Stone's funeral. He left behind a wife and four children.

I am impressed by the details you have been finding for these soldiers. I can't seem to find nearly that much for Union soldiers thru fold3 and Ancestry.

LaViewTenn.jpg

Henry Clay Tennant, 1839-1913, was born in Keeseville, New York. In May of 1861 he enlisted as a corporal in the 1st Vermont Infantry Regiment, Company H, for a service of three months. He mustered out August 15, 1861. One year and three days later, enlisted in the 12th Vermont Infantry Regiment, Company C, as a sergeant. After the War he returned to Burlington where he married and worked as a lumber salesman. The family later moved to Holyoke, Massachusetts where he died at the age of 80.

LaViewWmWill.jpg

William P Williams, 1827-1874, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark. Prior to the War Williams lived in Concord, New Hampshire where he manufactured cigars. He enlisted at Manchester, New Hampshire in the 10th New Hampshire Infantry Regiment, Company H, in August of 1862 as a sergeant. In January of 1863 he was promoted to 2nd lieutenant and transferred to Company I. He was wounded slightly in June of 1864 at the Battle of Cold Harbor. In July of 1864 he was promoted to 1st lieutenant. This promotion was later revoked and in August of 1864 he was dismissed for desertion. Williams had married in 1862 and had at least one child when the War began. He seems to have moved with his wife to Canada after his desertion: a daughter was born to the couple in Montreal in 1868. In the 1870 Census his wife was listed living with her parents in Burlington, under her maiden name. By 1873 Williams owned a cigar store in Burlington where he sold ready made and his own manufactured cigars. He died at the age of 47 from a hemorrhage.

LaViewWood.jpg

Urban Andrain Woodbury, 1838-1915, was born in Acworth, New Hampshire and moved with his family to Vermont at a young age. He was studying to be a doctor when he enlisted in the 2nd Vermont Infantry Regiment, Company H, in May of 1861 as a sergeant. July 21, 1861 at the Battle of Bull Run he was injured and had his right arm amputated. He had been taken prisoner and was confined in Richmond until he was exchanged in October. He was then discharged with a certificate of disability. Despite this, Woodbury remained in active service through the rest of the War as a member of the Vermont Veterans Corps. As Woodbury had been right handed, he gave up his plan for a medical career. Re-settling in Burlington after the War, he took a job working as a customs inspector and soon entered politics. In 1882 he became an alderman in Burlington and the 1885 was elected. Three years later he was elected lieutenant governor of Vermont, becoming Governor in 1894. After leaving politics he involved himself in a number of businesses, including a lumber yard, a cotton mill, and a hotel. In the 1900 Census his occupation is rather succinctly described as "Capitalist." He was on a trip to Battle Creek, Michigan when he suffered aa attack of apoplexy. He was brought home in a private rail car to recover but did not regain his health. Woodbury died at the age of 76.

He was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, and sent to the General Hospital in Brattleboro, Vermont. He mustered out with his company there in October of 1864.

What a story! I lived in Brattleboro for many years, but never knew there had been a General Hospital there during the war. I wasn't doing much historical research at the time...

ARB

He was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, and sent to the General Hospital in Brattleboro, Vermont. He mustered out with his company there in October of 1864.
@lupaglupa - I did a little research, and it turns out that the General Hospital mentioned in your writeup was where Brattleboro Union High School is today -- our three oldest kids went there. After the war, the hospital site was used for a fairgrounds, until the high school was built during the 1950s.

ARB

@lupaglupa - I did a little research, and it turns out that the General Hospital mentioned in your writeup was where Brattleboro Union High School is today -- our three oldest kids went there. After the war, the hospital site was used for a fairgrounds, until the high school was built during the 1950s.

ARB
It was interesting to me how many of the men were brought home to hospitals in Vermont. I don't know if that is the norm or not. My people are all CSA and when they were sick enough to travel they went home.

Marshall Harvey Twitchell is not interred at Burlington, but at Townsend, VT where he was born. He served in Vermont's 4th Infantry Regiment and then volunteered as an officer in the 109th USCT.

Twitchell Plaque.jpg
Twitchell Marker.jpg

Twitchell moved to Louisiana after the war, married a local gal and bought a plantation in the Upper Red River Valley. He moved his extended family there and became involved in local politics.

Viewed as a quintessential Carpetbagger, Twitchell's brother and brothers-in-law were shot to death. He himself barely escaped an assassination attempt and lost both of his arms to gunshot wounds, attempting to cross Red River at Coushatta in Red River Parish.

It became a long forgotten national scandal, reported on the front pages of the New York Times and Chicago Tribune, replete with a congressional investigation. It was called, "The Coushatta Affair." No one was ever charged in any of the shootings and locals kept secret for generations who was responsible.

President Rutherford Hayes gave Twitchell a job at the U.S. Consulate in Ontario, Canada, where he ended his interest in politics.

Back