Laird Rams-The threat of Lincoln to war with Great Britain

ebg12

Corporal
Many threads have been written about the "Trent affair", but little is discussed about the "Laid Rams" built in Liverpool for the Confederate Navy.

Lincoln was willing to go to war with Great Britain if they allowed delivery of those two ships to the South. Truly, the "Laird Rams" were the forerunners of modern steel hull battle cruisers that would have shredded the Union wooden hull ships of the blockade to pieces.

Last edited:
Many threads have been written about the "Trent affair", but little is discussed about the "Laid Rams" built in Liverpool for the Confederate Navy.

Lincoln was willing to go to war with Great Britain if they allowed delivery of those two ships to the South. Truly, the "Laird Rams" were the forerunners of modern steel hull battle cruisers that would have shredded the Union wooden hull ships of the blockade to pieces.
Had to look that one up, the two ships were called HMS Scorpion and HMS Wivern,
Here’s a pic.
0A1A2794-E88E-4147-B553-D21AD4EB342D.jpeg

Hypothetical of no particular merit: Would CSS Stonewall have defeated a Laird ram?
I seriously doubt it . . . IMHO.

Yeah, the CSS Stonewall was a much more 'cooler' design, but if I'm not mistaken, the Laird ships outclassed the Stonewall in basically
everything.

I have no doubt that our naval experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

:smoke:

At the Battle of Lissa both of the Webb-built Italian ironclads were rammed by an Austrian ship, and Re d'Italia sank. Since both combatants in this hypothetical are equipped to ram, I propose advantage would go to the tightest-turning ship. Do we know anything about their maneuverability?

Re d'Italia.jpg

Back