Ladies Zoave jacket, blouse and skirt..hoops, or corded petticoat?

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
So, I love buying used Civil War ladies things...so, I bought a nice green plaid skirt with matching Zoave jacket..which is tiny..and form fitting!!! I have the pattern for the Garibaldi blouse. But do you wear a hoop under this skirt/blouse/shrug style jacket, or a corded petticoat? The skirt needs to be taken up a mile..because I am 5’2..which is ok, as the current hem is tiny! Very suttler row, but
i think I can help it along by installing the correct hem, and burying the gathered skirt waist with a nice belt and period buckle. Once everything is washed, and ironed..I will post pictures. I also got a pair of sleeves, and a nice olive green velvet bonnet with silk ish ribbons. All of which needs a pressing!! It was just a good price for the ensemble and it’s in my size..

Now I feel like i need a super sheer cotton fabric for the blouse..the only question would be, what color???

luinrina

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I would go with white or as whitish as you can for the blouse. It should contrast nicely to your green plaid skirt.

As for hoop or corded petticoat, I would think it depends on the occasion you want to wear the outfit? If it's solely for use in camp, you should be fine with a corded petticoat but if it's for more social events I'd go with a hoop.

Hope that helps. I'm looking forward to seeing your new outfit. :smile:

Deni7492

Cadet
Green is my all time favorite color! I’d choose either a contrasting color from the cross threads or a complementary green shade. Maybe a cotton organdy for summer and wool blend or heavier weight cotton for winter. The big question is where are you finding these wonderful items? I too purchase secondhand and sometimes new items though at this point I’m not sure if I’ll get a chance to wear them. Lol

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
Green is my all time favorite color! I’d choose either a contrasting color from the cross threads or a complementary green shade. Maybe a cotton organdy for summer and wool blend or heavier weight cotton for winter. The big question is where are you finding these wonderful items? I too purchase secondhand and sometimes new items though at this point I’m not sure if I’ll get a chance to wear them. Lol
I use a Facebook group. Message me, and I’ll tell you the name.

Deni7492

Cadet
I may already know it! I seem to have acumulated a collection that I need to thin out a bit. I’m looking for the right places 🙂

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
I may already know it! I seem to have acumulated a collection that I need to thin out a bit. I’m looking for the right places 🙂
Trade Blanket? There are tons of FB groups, and Civil War Talk has a section for selling as well. I’ve gotten some nice deals here too!