Ladies Up In Smoke; Or, Gentlemen, Smoke At Your Own Risk. Godey's 1863

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
smoking crop.jpg

Pre-war Godey's image illustrating either the foolishness of men smoking tobacco or the danger they stood in, courting ladies' disapproval. Or both.

Not all of us were smitten by tobacco, one of our first cash crops, and its inevitable usage. Topping that list would have been enslaved laborers toiling for centuries in heat, bringing to harvest a crop so valuable it served as money in a coin starved colony.

Next on the list seems to be ladies, for whom tobacco use in any form was so forbidden, when it was discovered some few women indulged in snuff they were considered freaks. Never knew smoking tobacco by men to have been frowned upon, though, new to me! With ladies disapproving of the practice in male circles, it's a little astonishing the whole thing lasted centuries until we lit up, too. ( Disclaimer here would be how much I do not know about tobacco and Native American use- it's a lot. )

smoking text.jpg

First, a mild complaint in a women's magazine

Then the first broadside
smoking ladies.jpg

Godey's also published a pattern for a ' smoking hat '. Seems to me part of a devious plot- if men had to smoke, wear this silly thing on your head, too. With tassel. :angel:

smoking cap godeys 1849.jpg

View attachment 205776
Pre-war Godey's image illustrating either the foolishness of men smoking tobacco or the danger they stood in, courting ladies' disapproval. Or both.

Not all of us were smitten by tobacco, one of our first cash crops, and its inevitable usage. Topping that list would have been enslaved laborers toiling for centuries in heat, bringing to harvest a crop so valuable it served as money in a coin starved colony.

Next on the list seems to be ladies, for whom tobacco use in any form was so forbidden, when it was discovered some few women indulged in snuff they were considered freaks. Never knew smoking tobacco by men to have been frowned upon, though, new to me! With ladies disapproving of the practice in male circles, it's a little astonishing the whole thing lasted centuries until we lit up, too. ( Disclaimer here would be how much I do not know about tobacco and Native American use- it's a lot. )

View attachment 205778
First, a mild complaint in a women's magazine

Then the first broadside
View attachment 205777

Godey's also published a pattern for a ' smoking hat '. Seems to me part of a devious plot- if men had to smoke, wear this silly thing on your head, too. With tassel. :angel:

View attachment 205775
Annie, I was a life-long cigar smoker until I quit a few years ago. I smoked cigarettes when I was young and I quit cold turkey in my 30's. Cigars (good cigars, no drugstore cigars), on the other hand, held me in thrall until my 60's and I still would love to have one right now. However, if I had to wear the hat - no way!

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Smoke really triggers my allergies, so I've actually never once tried smoking.

As many a bummer noted, the Southern farm women loved their tobacco -- pipes and chews most of all.
I'm pretty sure my ancestor in my avatar--the daughter of a Civil War veteran and a lifelong resident of rural North Carolina--has a chaw of tobacco in her mouth. :smoke:

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
Annie, I was a life-long cigar smoker until I quit a few years ago. I smoked cigarettes when I was young and I quit cold turkey in my 30's. Cigars (good cigars, no drugstore cigars), on the other hand, held me in thrall until my 60's and I still would love to have one right now. However, if I had to wear the hat - no way!
:rofl:

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host

No, no, the hat is mandatory. I can see why you quit. :angel:

Cigar smoke doesn't bother me- in fact it must be some forgotten childhood association because it seems nostalgic. Dad didn't smoke but remember the sight of a well-chewed cigar end in various hands, must have been friends or relatives. And it's funny. In 2018 there's no gender gap with smoking cigarettes but a woman with a cigar is still considered well, unfeminine.