Ladies Memorial Association of Greenville SC - looking for information

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I am trying to find information on the Ladies Memorial Association that commissioned the Greenville Confederate monument. Can anyone provide some information about the membership, documentation, anything along those lines? I'm not finding very much at this point and would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks.

The Anderson intelligencer. [volume] (Anderson Court House, S.C.) 1860-1914, April 30, 1891
owUncfX.jpg

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Here's a few snippets-

"The Ladies' Memorial Association of Greenville laid the cornerstone for this twenty-eight-foot monument on September 18, 1892 and unveiled it on September 27, 1892. Bishop Ellison Capers was the speaker..."

"It was a fitting tribute to Mrs. McBee that she was selected as the first president of the Ladies ' Memorial Association of Greenville when the movement was begun twenty years ago to erect a monument to the Confederate dead in that city..."

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Here's a few snippets-

"The Ladies' Memorial Association of Greenville laid the cornerstone for this twenty-eight-foot monument on September 18, 1892 and unveiled it on September 27, 1892. Bishop Ellison Capers was the speaker..."

"It was a fitting tribute to Mrs. McBee that she was selected as the first president of the Ladies ' Memorial Association of Greenville when the movement was begun twenty years ago to erect a monument to the Confederate dead in that city..."

A name! McBee... there's a McBee street in downtown Greenville, probably the same family. I don't know much about them. That's a good angle to investigate, so thanks for that. That could be very helpful.

The other links are similar to what I've seen so far. The association is mentioned often in connection to the monument, but I had not been able to find any names of the membership or organizing documents or anything along those lines like I have for some other groups. Hopefully something along those lines is out there. I like that image of the Greenville monument in its original location. There are several others taken by the same man that can be found on the Greenville library website.

Last edited:

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I would think the South Carolina Room at the Greenville Library would have all the information you could ever want.

I've had the same thought. I think the library is open again after all the Covid restrictions. I'll have to check and see what I can find out.