Knowledge of the Naval War

Do you consider yourself relatively familiar with...

• Total voters
My knowledge is limited on the naval aspect of the war. It boils down to two topics.

1. The Monitor vs the Virginia
2. The H.L. Hunley.

I hope to expand my knowledge, and what I've seen so far here, I'll be in good hands.

So did the naval war take place in Asia?

Not a whole lot of it... but consider that the only known photo of the CSS Alabama was taken in port at Singapore, and that the CSS Shenandoah skirted the Kuriles and Kamchatka Peninsula on her way to destroy the New England whaling fleet in the Bering Sea.

Hi Mark,
Some where in the older Naval forums discovered how to get a copy of Robert Holcombe 's thesis on the development of Confederate shipbuilding, and despite trying to rediscover that forum, in the last several weeks, have had no luck.
So am asking you. My understanding was that I could get this copy through ILL of what school he was in, or something like that. So instead of starting to check schools in North Carolina thought would ask first.

Thanks
Grizz

Grizz, it was actually unpublished when I got my copy through a mutual friend. I don't know if it has been published anywhere since. If you do get a copy, remember it is several decades old.

Grizz, it was actually unpublished when I got my copy through a mutual friend. I don't know if it has been published anywhere since. If you do get a copy, remember it is several decades old.

Have you read Holcombe's chapter in The Confederate Navy: Ships, Men, and Organization (ed. William N. Still, Jr.)? I've wondered if that was a derivation of the thesis (which I have also never actually seen on its own).

Thanks guys,
Yes I have a copy of that book and since reading that section have searched now and then on line to see if could find a copy of Bob H's thesis there. Found other thesis on other ironclads, but never that one. I understand some of it's info is dated by now...........but just.....woundering what's inside I guess..............That's all right and thanks again. It's on my list of 101 things to keep a eye open for.

One thing though, what was I reading about then? My 2 year old grand son was charging my way so forget to write myself a note.

Grizz

Hi Mark,

Just thinking but for us real naval nuts how come we can't get naval ranks? Now a admiral that would be something to aim for! Admiral GRIZZ has a nice ring to it.

See you mate,
GRIZZ

Mark.
Saw this last night from a 1828 newspaper. Never read this before, this is your buddy, right?
David Porter, the Commander in Chief of the Mexican Navy was able to leave with the "Libertad"and "Brabo". Two years ago, Commander Porter, arrived in Mexico to take this position. He brought with him two sons and a nephew. One of the sons, Thomas, soon died of yellow fever. His other son, David Dixon, was in the Mexican brig "Guerrero under the command of his nephew, Captain David Henry Porter. The Captain was killed (Feb 10th)when the brig was capt by the Spanish frigate "Leattad".
It was common belief that he would do anything to get revenge for the loss of the "Guerrero", the death of his nephew, and his son, now a prisoner.
Reported from the Packet (whatever) sailing from (where ever) Mexico.

Thought you would get a kick out this!

GRIZZ

Lots of Davids in that family... including the foster son, David Glasgow Farragut (whose birth name, James, was changed to David when Porter took him in...)

David Porter, the Commander in Chief of the Mexican Navy was able to leave with the "Libertad"and "Brabo". Two years ago, Commander Porter, arrived in Mexico to take this position. He brought with him two sons and a nephew. One of the sons, Thomas, soon died of yellow fever. His other son, David Dixon, was in the Mexican brig "Guerrero under the command of his nephew, Captain David Henry Porter. The Captain was killed (Feb 10th)when the brig was capt by the Spanish frigate "Leattad".

Fajardo1600.jpg

David Porter, a hero of the War of 1812, took up with the Mexican Navy after he had commanded the U.S. West Indies Squadron in 1823-25, with an explicit directive to prosecute a war on pirates operating in the region. He was good at it, too, but he did so with considerably more vigor than discretion, and went so far as to occupy the town of Fajardo with 200 sailors and Marines (above), on Puerto Rico's east coast, to demand an apology from the alcade for an incident involving one of Porter's subordinate officers. Secretary of State John Qunicy Adams called Porter's actions “a direct, hostile invasion of the island, utterly unjustifiable. . . one of the most high-handed acts I ever heard of.”

Porter was relieved of command of the West Indies Squadron, and ordered to return to Washington. Porter found himself facing a court martial, on two counts – first, for disobedience and “conduct unbecoming an officer” for his actions at Fajardo, and second, for “insubordinate conduct” in the form of a letter he had sent to the president and to Secretary Southard. After a five-week trial in the summer of 1825, Porter was convicted on both counts, but – amazingly – the court’s punishment consisted of a six-month suspension from duty with pay. The court went on to say in its verdict that it was sure that Porter’s actions at Fajardo had been undertaken with the best of intentions and commitment to the naval service. It was the closest thing to the proverbial slap on the wrist as one can imagine.

Nonetheless, Porter felt very much abused by the navy, and the following summer, in 1826, he resigned from the service. Although he later served as ambassador from the United States to both the Barbary Sates and the Ottoman Empire, that was the end of his service with the U.S. Navy.

Last edited:
After a five-week trial in the summer of 1825, Porter was convicted on both counts, but – amazingly – the court’s punishment consisted of a six-month suspension from duty with pay.

The court-martial of Commodore Thomas T. Craven for failing to aggressively engage the CSS Stonewall in his USS Niagara (with Henry Walke's Sacramento in company) resulted in a similar "sentence." Gideon Welles dismissed the sentence in frustration, noting that it (time off with pay) was better treatment than the Department could have given as a favor! (But it's a clear indication that the officers of the court sympathized with the accused, even if the latter was technically guilty of the charge.)

Thanks guys,

It's that how many David Dixon Porter's could they be? Still, read a bio about Porter Sr, but they did not have much written about times after the navy.

The Porters I know of:

David Porter - the War of 1812 commander than went on to serve in the Mexican Navy
William David Porter - "Dirty Bill," commander of the New Era/Essex. Son of David.
David Dixon Porter - "Black Dave," commander of the Mississippi Squadron and then the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Also a son of David.
David Dixon Porter - Grandson of David Dixon Porter and great-grandson of David Porter; major general in Marine Corps, Medal of Honor (Philippines, 1901)

And that's just in the direct line. Glad I don't have to research that family tree...

See what you mean......

Well........ I can say that my best guessdamet (with the info known at this time) it is he!
Sounds good anyway.

GRIZZ

Back