20181219_150352.jpg
20181219_150512.jpg
20181219_150324.jpg
20181219_150434.jpg
20181219_150352.jpg
20181219_150512.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. This a post war sword and not CW era

Welcome to the forum
Your sword, known to collectors as a Masonic sword, was made after the ACW, and are often found at antique and Civil War relic shows.
They rarely are priced over a few hundred dollars for one in excellent condition, usually much less.
Thank you sir this has been alot of help to me, if you know anyone who's interested have them hit me up please. Thanks

Hello and welcome to the talk forum from Southeast Missouri located on the banks of the muddy Mississippi River. Definitely not a war time piece. Still a nice fraternal sword.
Hello and thank you if you know anyone who is interested that collects these shorts have them hit me up please I'm looking to sell it I have no use for it thank you

Hello, I am not an expert but I have been burned in my learning exprience. The writing on your sword seems to me to be acid etch or laser....back in the day they did engraving. I may be wrong....I own a similar sword that I overpaid for.

Welcome! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions!
It's a ceremonial sword of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows, a predominantly British fraternity. How did you determine it was a Civil War sword?

Hi and welcome. I am no expert on fraternal orders, but I have seen Many, MANY knights' swords from various orders. I think this is old, but probably not 150+ years old. I think you might have a genuine ivory grip on your sword, and that is something rare these days. Some fraternal expert will probably solve this identity for you pretty soon. In the meantime, I'm glad you found us. Please come back often.

Aside from the acronym clearly emblazoned are the three links of the Oddfellows, in this case actually incorporated into the hilt form itself (and also on the scabbard above the temple). The pommel of a tent form.

This GUOF order is the post war African American minority group. The current British and worldwide GUOF another subsect of the IOOF The sword as shown, as late as the 20th century. The grip may be a composite, or purely celluloid. Ames and others were grinding up ivory scrap and incorporating them with a celluloid compound and some of the late 19th century stuff deceptively ivory like because they are indeed partly ivory.

There is plenty of information on the Odd Fellows, both in England and in the US. The first English charters granted by George III (1790s iirc) and grew in expansion as US interests. Some of the early IOOF swords in the US were etched m1832 foot artillery swords from Ames and often listed as fancy artillery swords. The overall precepts was that common men deserved a place in fraternity, as the early 18th century Freemasons were a more exclusive bunch.

Cheers
GC

Welcome! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions!
It's a ceremonial sword of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows, a predominantly British fraternity. How did you determine it was a Civil War sword?
I was just looking up a bunch of them and it looked like one of the one from Civil War

Reactions: WJC
Back