Klan in California and Oregon During Reconstruction Era

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
pacific-chivalry-7-august-1869.jpg

Thomas Nast, so famous for his Civil War-era political cartoons, was a harsh critic of the anti-Chinese movement in the western US. This cartoon recalls very clearly Nast's images of slaveowner brutality against the oppressed racial minority.

Last edited:

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I am doing more research on anti-Chinese agitation in the 1860s and 1870s.
You might want to look at the 'anti-coolie' riots in San Francisco in the late 1870s. Not many killed but a LOT of destruction of Chinese property and businesses - they pretty much razed Chinatown. The main agitators of that were Irish immigrants who had become nativists - a very big movement on the West Coast during the depression of the 1870s. The Chinese couldn't catch a break in California and were treated worse than just about anybody except Indians.

The KKK is STILL active in these parts, just more people are willing to stand up to them. Used to be respectable businessmen and clergy belonged to it and proudly displayed signs on their hotels and restaurants saying "White Help Only" through the 1960s.

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
I imagine there is no place in our country that has a past devoid of shame.
It extends to slavery in Northern states/colonies in the 17th-18th century and 19th century such as New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Illinois, Michigan, Maine and the Oregon Territory either the actual instution or people who got involved in the illegal slave trade and slaves brought to the territories.

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
pacific-chivalry-7-august-1869.jpg

Thomas Nast, so famous for his Civil War-era political cartoons, was a harsh critic of the anti-Chinese movement in the western US. This cartoon recalls very clearly Nast's images of slaveowner brutality against the oppressed racial minority.
Bear in mind this is the same Nast who was also hateful towards not just Irish Americans but Catholics as well..

uaskme

Sergeant Major
Freedoms Frontier by Stacey L Smith has a chapter on the Chinese and California. Westerners don't want competition from non-white labor. Was the argument for leaving the territories for White Families. The Republicans take up California's cause and make it a National Cause, Chinese Exclusion. California is going to call Coolies, slaves. No doubt the early ones were. However they are going to extent that to all Chinese. They argue that the Chinese are such a degraded race that being slaves is the only function in society they can possess.

California is going to shed the Unionist Yoke in 1867, on pledge of no negro or Chinese suffrage. They essentially don't want negro's to have rights, which they have a scant few of, because they know it will open the door for the Chinese and Native Americans, who they don't want to have any.

On Feb. 6 the Southern Oregon Historical Society will host a talk by local historian/archeologist Jeff LaLande (mentioned in the article you posted, Pat) entitled "The Second KKK in Southern Oregon's Politics and Society." His thesis was on the KKK in the PNW.

I volunteer at the SOHS (where Jeff is on the board) and have chatted with and emailed Jeff about Southern Oregon history a number of times - most recently about Oregon during Reconstruction - and I plan to attend his lecture; I've attended several of his over the years - always good.

Should he reveal any really juicy factoids I'll report such although I rather think that he'll be mostly talking about the Klan between 1900 and 1930 or so (its heyday out here).

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!