KKK Rally in Support of Lee Statue draws Counter-Protest

StephenColbert27

First Sergeant
Hawes Spencer said:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Members of the Ku Klux Klan rallied here on Saturday afternoon in a protest meant to assail the city’s decision to remove a statue of Robert E. Lee, the Confederate general.

For about a half-hour, around 50 members of the Klan — some wearing hooded white robes — shouted “white power” at Justice Park as more than 1,000 people protested their presence by hurling insults, water bottles and apple cores.

By about 4:25 p.m., the Klan members, who said they came from North Carolina, began to leave and return to their cars. It was then when the trouble intensified...

At one point, the police again ordered the crowd to disperse, but the protesters remained entrenched. Ms. Dickler said the Virginia State Police then released three canisters of tear gas.

“The crowd immediately dispersed,” she said.

Over the course of the day, Ms. Dickler said that at least 23 people had been arrested...
Source.
It's always outsiders who come in and create the most trouble. Nice to see these ignorant bigots outnumbered almost ten to one by counter-protesters. Even better that no one was seriously injured, and that violence was kept to the throwing of plastic bottles and apple cores.

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Source.
It's always outsiders who come in and create the most trouble. Nice to see these ignorant bigots outnumbered almost ten to one. Even better that no one was seriously injured, and that violence was kept to the throwing of plastic bottles and apple cores.
Frankly, I think "ignorant bigots" is much nicer than what I called them when I read the article yesterday...

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
Did anybody except the KKK show up to support keeping the statue?

The argument against Confederate statues or memorials is that they represent racism and white supremacy. You can't counter that argument by having a bunch of racists shouting about white power. The Klan is making its opponents' case for them.

What's needed is for decent, responsible people who care about southern heritage to show up, repudiate the nuts, and make their case.

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
These jokers, like Richard Spencer don't really care about the statues or historical preservation. They're in it for publicity and to get their "message" out. If the SCV wanted to gain some points, some guy in a gray kepi should have clocked Spencer on youtube while shouting "heritage not hate!"

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
These jokers, like Richard Spencer don't really care about the statues or historical preservation. They're in it for publicity and to get their "message" out. If the SCV wanted to gain some points, some guy in a gray kepi should have clocked Spencer on youtube while shouting "heritage not hate!"
To be fair, I believe I saw a release by the SCV distancing themselves from Spencer and the KKK.

Reactions: Sbc

civilken

1st Lieutenant
what can I say except Gee that's surprising who would've thought that was going to happen. It's time for the men and women who believe in keeping the history of the Confederacy alive to stand up to these bullies they do nothing but prove that the statues need to be taken down. I have always believed they should be put in a museum where honest people of good character can go look at them and understand their past. I have never professed anger towards the soldiers who were good and brave man that did what they thought was right. It doesn't matter what I think but it does matter what they did and none of these men deserve a clown show in their memory.

WalkingTurtles

Private

The argument against Confederate statues or memorials is that they represent racism and white supremacy. You can't counter that argument by having a bunch of racists shouting about white power. The Klan is making its opponents' case for them.

What's needed is for decent, responsible people who care about southern heritage to show up, repudiate the nuts, and make their case.
Anyone who shows up is labeled racist and white supremacist.

2/241

Retired User
the klan is the klan and shall be prosecuted

on the other hand today no American Politician would trust General Lee to protect the lifes (white or black) of American soldiers

in WW II they did

I once had an argument in a Nürnberg Irish pub with an American lawywer who insisted on "what was good for our founding fathers is..."

Since his founding father in majority where slavers and him being black I asked him where he kept his chaines

Some Irish and Scotts rose to defend me

MattL

2nd Lieutenant
Anyone who shows up is labeled racist and white supremacist.
By some yes, but let's not fight generalization by generalizing. Many who show up to support removal are labeled White hating (including being self hating if they are White), but I certainly wouldn't say all anti-removal people label all pro-removal people that way.

MattL

2nd Lieutenant

Agreed, it's good to have the views represented... with that said this is kind of the point of many. That despite Confederate symbols being a very positive symbol to some it's clearly a racist symbol to others (including those who want it to be a racist symbol). The different meanings don't cancel each other out... much like other National symbols I won't name.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!