GRAPHIC 'Killed at Fort Mahone'

I would think they are difficult to do......no color involved ??????
Lots. :smile:

Just not the normal ones. I had to add a few varying shades of brown to simulate reflection aswell as because he had dirty hands and feet, I had to add blood that would've pooled in his left cheek, and some varying shades of green and blue to simulate bloating/decay.

Why does it have to be a dead Johnny? Can you do a dead Fed?
It stuck out to me how young he is.

I've done a total of 3-4 dead photographs, with a 50/50 split between confederates and union.

I'm not a supporter of either side, I just do the highest quality photographs.

It stuck out to me how young he is.

I've done a total of 3-4 dead photographs, with a 50/50 split between confederates and union.

I'm not a supporter of either side, I just do the highest quality photographs.

One of my GG Uncles was 15 when he joined the war. Two months before the Battle of Franklin. He became a minister.

One of my GG Uncles was 15 when he joined the war. Two months before the Battle of Franklin. He became a minister.
Was your Uncle Confederate or Union. I think it is interesting that someone so young would become a minister. I think it goes to show how great the need was for spiritual guidance among the troops. If you have more info on your ancestor, I wish you would share it.

Why does it have to be a dead Johnny? Can you do a dead Fed?
There are more photographs of dead Confederates out there than Federals, due photographers like Alexander Gardner and Mathew Brady fallowing the Army of the Potomac and primarily taking photos of only dead Confederates since taking photos of dead Federals would be bad for Northern moral. There are a few photographs of dead Federals at Gettysburg which Zuzah has colored. None were taken at Petersburg, only dead Confederates and only one of Federals was taken at Antietam.

There really aren't that many Civil War photographs of dead soldiers out there compare to all the other photographs taken during the war, and about 90% of them are of Confederates.

There are more photographs of dead Confederates out there than Federals, due photographers like Alexander Gardner and Mathew Brady fallowing the Army of the Potomac and primarily taking photos of only dead Confederates since taking photos of dead Federals would be bad for Northern moral. There are a few photographs of dead Federals at Gettysburg which Zuzah has colored. None were taken at Petersburg, only dead Confederates and only one of Federals was taken at Antietam.

There really aren't that many Civil War photographs of dead soldiers out there compare to all the other photographs taken during the war, and about 90% of them are of Confederates.
There's a few Confederates and Union at Bull Run too, one is a particular photograph looking in to a clearing with trees and bushes surrounding 3 or 4 men, lying face down. Hauntingly beautiful.

There's a few Confederates and Union at Bull Run too, one is a particular photograph looking in to a clearing with trees and bushes surrounding 3 or 4 men, lying face down. Hauntingly beautiful.
Forgot about that one, I'll have to find it again, its quite rare and I think the photographer remains unknown.

Forgot about that one, I'll have to find it again, its quite rare and I think the photographer remains unknown.
Yeah, it's probably going to be my next 'gorey' project, it's been a photograph I've wanted to get my hands on for a while now.

Yeah, it's probably going to be my next 'gorey' project, it's been a photograph I've wanted to get my hands on for a while now.
Well you did a good job on this one Zuzah, but its certainly not a pretty one is it.

Last edited:
Back