Ketchum and Rains grenade worth?

Wraith_3

Private
Hi I'm new and had some questions. My dad was the Civil War collector and he passed away last Oct. I have a pretty good general knowledge of this stuff, but there's still a few items he didn't leave any info on (or the ebay page when he bought it) that I don't know the value of. I've got his original ebay page from when he bought the Rains grenade, but it was early 2000s. Obviously ebay doesn't allow this stuff any more so I can't find any recent sales there or on Heritage auctions sites for current values. The concern with the Ketchum is that it has a replica tail (a bad replica tail...) and the only sales I've seen are with original tales. These aren't for sale right now, so please no offers, I just wanted to see what they're worth.

55M2Itx.jpg

rnev21W.jpg

FTr6C6g.jpg

Rains
PIX0esq.jpg

2rT6ArY.jpg

sKUQ1Ld.jpg

YTjA8L3.jpg

Sorry to hear of the passing of your Father. What size are they as the Ketchum came in 3 differnt one 1, 3, 5lb and the Rains in a 1 or 1.75lb

The Ketchum is 5lbs and the Rains is 1lb.
Its hard to give values based on photos so I be broad ranged. The Ketchum is between $900 - $1200 and the Rains in the condition its in between $600 - $800

Thanks, that's around what I was thinking. He would print out ebay auctions of items that he had so he had an idea of value, but most are mid 2000s. I know one had a Rains for $740 that looked almost identical as far as condition.

I am a hobby modeler and I intended to make a replica tail that was accurate and never got around to it!

Hi I'm new and had some questions. My dad was the Civil War collector and he passed away last Oct. I have a pretty good general knowledge of this stuff, but there's still a few items he didn't leave any info on (or the ebay page when he bought it) that I don't know the value of. I've got his original ebay page from when he bought the Rains grenade, but it was early 2000s. Obviously ebay doesn't allow this stuff any more so I can't find any recent sales there or on Heritage auctions sites for current values. The concern with the Ketchum is that it has a replica tail (a bad replica tail...) and the only sales I've seen are with original tales. These aren't for sale right now, so please no offers, I just wanted to see what they're worth.

View attachment 397290
View attachment 397291
View attachment 397292

Rains
View attachment 397293
View attachment 397294
View attachment 397295
View attachment 397296
Current values that I have seen at the more recent shows, Gettysburg, this past weekend are showing weak value for these at present. Excavated without fins were priced at $700, but they'll take less, around $600. Rains excavated were going for $500-700.
Yet a Von Leake bullet was at $800 and now there is doubt as to their origin! Dean Thomas has some new info on them......

These do seem to be a popular item among collectors. This makes then worth a fair amount.

Back