Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1560314947689.png
1560314991411.png

"Capt. Townsend who was in command of the battalion, fell with one side of his face torn away. Evans also fell and as he lay on the ground with the colors, I passed near him, in command of my company..." Writing of his "experiences in the late unpleasantness," Lieutenant Robert H Jennings of Company G, 3rd Battalion South Carolina Infantry provides his recollections of the memorable events of September 19-21, 1863 at Chickamauga.

After Gettysburg we returned to Virginia, and camped at Waller's tavern, when Longstreet was ordered to Georgia to help Gen. Bragg, who was being pressed by Rosecrans. We embarked at Petersburg on a freight train and to avoid the heat and crowding, I rode on top of a car all the way to Ringgold, where we arrived late in the afternoon, ate a hurried meal of raw bacon and mouldy cornbread, and about midnight of the 19th of September set out on a march of about twelve miles to Alexander's bridge, on the Chickamauga river, which we crossed about sunrise. There was a white frost on the river bottoms. We continued our march three or four miles from the river and halted in a narrow skirt of woods. The battle was raging a half a mile in front of us and bullets were falling among us. The suspense was awful while waiting for orders to advance.​
In a few hours a courier rode up and ordered us to the front. We advanced out of the woods and up the hill through an old field, the enemy, under cover of woods at the top of the hill, pouring a deadly fire of minnie balls into our ranks. Wm. Evans, father of our haberdasher in Columbia, was our color bearer. Our battalion being the battalion of direction, and not moving exactly in the direction to throw the brigade squarely in front of the enemy, Gen. Kershaw stepped up and took the flag from Evans, who supposed the general thought he was scared, followed and said: "General, please give me the flag and point the direction you want me to go and I'll go." The general handed it back to him and pointing said, "You see that large green pine, go directly to it," and he went.​
As we reached the brow of the hill my Orderly Sgt. J W Ashford, being at my side, caught me by the hand and said, "Lieutenant, I am shot." I replied, "Goodbye, old fellow, I must go forward." I left him, expecting never to see him alive again. He was hit in the right side, the ball coming out near the spine. We advanced down a ravine through the woods and I must say, though I was in twenty battles and skirmishes, the balls came thicker and faster from Snodgrass Hill than I ever witnessed before. As we reached the bottom of the ravine I saw the enemy bringing up a field piece and I said, "Boys, they are going to open a battery on us," and instantly there was a discharge of grape or canister.​
Capt. Townsend who was in command of the battalion, fell with one side of his face torn away. Evans also fell and as he lay on the ground with the colors, I passed near him, in command of my company. He looked up and said, "Lieutenant, please take this flag." I seized it with my right hand and held it up, and while I did so the flag staff was struck twice and cut nearly in twain. I felt the jar when it was hit, and presently I received a very severe flesh wound in the left leg and retired from the field.​
Our little company, reduced to about fifteen men, lost about half killed and wounded. One man, William Morgan, killed outright, and three amputations: Matthew McGrady, William Craig, each an arm, and R R Milling, a leg, besides others less severely wounded. Col Elbert Bland, in command of the 7th (SC) regiment was killed, also Maj Hard.​
Dr. Coleman Carlisle of your county, now dead, cut the ball out of my leg and gave me an order to report to a general hospital. I came home, and in a few days, went to Columbia to the college hospital and received a 90 days furlough from Dr. Prioleau. [Excerpted from The Herald and News. (Newberry, SC.), May 12, 1911, page 7.]​
The 3d SC Battn was Kershaw's Brigade, McLaws' Division, Longstreet's Corps. Only two brigades of McLaws' division arrived in time to participate on September 21 - Kershaw's and Humphreys' (Barkdale's old.) McLaws, travelling with Bryan (Semmes old) and Wofford, of his division, did not arrive until late on September 20th, and was not present on the field during the action described above.
1560314600684.png

South Carolina Monument overlooking Dyer Field at Chickamauga.

Last edited:
my Orderly Sgt. J W Ashford, being at my side, caught me by the hand and said, "Lieutenant, I am shot." I replied, "Goodbye, old fellow, I must go forward." I left him, expecting never to see him alive again. He was hit in the right side, the ball coming out near the spine.
Regarding Orderly Sergeant J W Ashford "hit in the right side, the ball coming out near the spine" Nov/Dec Company Muster Roll indicates that he was sent to the hospital but recovered and returned to duty.
1560384234091.png

Capt. Townsend who was in command of the battalion, fell with one side of his face torn away.
Captain Joshua M Townsend - Born 28 March 1834; killed 20 September 1863 (age 29 years.)
1560385478636.png
1560385525931.png

View attachment 311556View attachment 311557
"Capt. Townsend who was in command of the battalion, fell with one side of his face torn away. Evans also fell and as he lay on the ground with the colors, I passed near him, in command of my company..." Writing of his "experiences in the late unpleasantness," Lieutenant Robert H Jennings of Company G, 3rd Battalion South Carolina Infantry provides his recollections of the memorable events of September 19-21, 1863 at Chickamauga.

After Gettysburg we returned to Virginia, and camped at Waller's tavern, when Longstreet was ordered to Georgia to help Gen. Bragg, who was being pressed by Rosecrans. We embarked at Petersburg on a freight train and to avoid the heat and crowding, I rode on top of a car all the way to Ringgold, where we arrived late in the afternoon, ate a hurried meal of raw bacon and mouldy cornbread, and about midnight of the 19th of September set out on a march of about twelve miles to Alexander's bridge, on the Chickamauga river, which we crossed about sunrise. There was a white frost on the river bottoms. We continued our march three or four miles from the river and halted in a narrow skirt of woods. The battle was raging a half a mile in front of us and bullets were falling among us. The suspense was awful while waiting for orders to advance.​
In a few hours a courier rode up and ordered us to the front. We advanced out of the woods and up the hill through an old field, the enemy, under cover of woods at the top of the hill, pouring a deadly fire of minnie balls into our ranks. Wm. Evans, father of our haberdasher in Columbia, was our color bearer. Our battalion being the battalion of direction, and not moving exactly in the direction to throw the brigade squarely in front of the enemy, Gen. Kershaw stepped up and took the flag from Evans, who supposed the general thought he was scared, followed and said: "General, please give me the flag and point the direction you want me to go and I'll go." The general handed it back to him and pointing said, "You see that large green pine, go directly to it," and he went.​
As we reached the brow of the hill my Orderly Sgt. J W Ashford, being at my side, caught me by the hand and said, "Lieutenant, I am shot." I replied, "Goodbye, old fellow, I must go forward." I left him, expecting never to see him alive again. He was hit in the right side, the ball coming out near the spine. We advanced down a ravine through the woods and I must say, though I was in twenty battles and skirmishes, the balls came thicker and faster from Snodgrass Hill than I ever witnessed before. As we reached the bottom of the ravine I saw the enemy bringing up a field piece and I said, "Boys, they are going to open a battery on us," and instantly there was a discharge of grape or canister.​
Capt. Townsend who was in command of the battalion, fell with one side of his face torn away. Evans also fell and as he lay on the ground with the colors, I passed near him, in command of my company. He looked up and said, "Lieutenant, please take this flag." I seized it with my right hand and held it up, and while I did so the flag staff was struck twice and cut nearly in twain. I felt the jar when it was hit, and presently I received a very severe flesh wound in the left leg and retired from the field.​
Our little company, reduced to about fifteen men, lost about half killed and wounded. One man, William Morgan, killed outright, and three amputations: Matthew McGrady, William Craig, each an arm, and R R Milling, a leg, besides others less severely wounded. Col Elbert Bland, in command of the 7th (SC) regiment was killed, also Maj Hard.​
Dr. Coleman Carlisle of your county, now dead, cut the ball out of my leg and gave me an order to report to a general hospital. I came home, and in a few days, went to Columbia to the college hospital and received a 90 days furlough from Dr. Prioleau. [Excerpted from The Herald and News. (Newberry, SC.), May 12, 1911, page 7.]
The 3d SC Battn was Kershaw's Brigade, McLaws' Division, Longstreet's Corps. Only two brigades of McLaws' division arrived in time to participate on September 20 - Kershaw's and Humphreys' (Barkdale's old.) McLaws, travelling with Bryan (Semmes old) and Wofford, of his division, did not arrive until late on September 20th, and was not present on the field during the action described above.
View attachment 311553
South Carolina Monument overlooking Dyer Field at Chickamauga.

Dr. [Richard] Coleman Carlisle was my gg uncle, he was an asst. Surgeon of the 7th South Carolina Inf., Kershaw Brigade; a brother my gg grandfather John M. Carlisle was a chaplain of the same regiment. An older brother, James H. Carlisle, was a signer of the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession.

The incoming fire must have been incredibly heavy to have hit the flag staff twice, either that or the person that carried the standard automatically became a prime target. It must have taken an incredible amount of courage to push forward whilst feeling the rounds hit the flag staff, brave lads the lot of them.

Dr. [Richard] Coleman Carlisle was my gg uncle, he was an asst. Surgeon of the 7th South Carolina Inf., Kershaw Brigade;
Oh wow! I think there was more about Dr. Carlisle in the same article. It's a good one that gives some good info about Kershaw's brigade. Unfortunately, I can access Chronicling America right now, but can't see any pages. Seems there's a glitch or something. I'll keep trying and post back if there is more. I'm almost certain there was more information about him. The article appears in The Herald and News. (Newberry, SC.), May 12, 1911, page 6-7 in case anyone else can access it.

Questions about command of the two brigades of McLaws' division. @Norman Dasinger Jr here is that account I was talking about from 3rd SC Battn. that places Kershaw right in among his brigade. You said their horses had not yet arrived from VA so he had no horse. But seems like he could have positioned himself on foot to at least know where Humphreys brigade was headed? Barksdale had been killed a few months earlier at Gettysburg so this was Humphreys first time to command the Mississippi brigade in a battle. Kershaw had that much confidence in Humphreys to provide directions and then leave him unsupervised? Or I guess a better way to say it.... to depend on him to be in position to support and coordinate with Kershaws South Carolinians?

Yes
You would have thought he would have done that. When did he realize he was 'officially' commander? Was Humphrey's already assaulting Harker by then? I believe, Law thought he should have been commander. So did that cause a hesitation in Kershaw's actions?

Another account from Kershaw's brigade at Chickamauga. This one under date of October 18, 1863, originally published in the Charleston Courier, October 24, 1863, as reprinted in the Anderson Intelligencer (Anderson Court House, SC), January 18, 1883, page 1. Some interesting information included in this one.

ARMY OF CHATTANOOGA, October 18, 1863. -- The record of Kershaw's South Carolina Brigade in connection with the Battle of Chickamauga not having been written, I select it as the subject of the present letter.

The regiments of which the command is composed are the 2d South Carolina, Col. J. D. Kennedy; 3d South Carolina, Col. J. D. Nance; 7th, Lieut.-Col. [Elbert] Bland; 8th, Col. [John W.] Hennegan; 15th, Col. J. F. Gist; and James' Battalion, Lieut.-Col [W. G.] Rice.

The brigade arrived at Catoosa Station on the railroad September 18, and the next morning proceeded to Ringgold, where it was united with Barksdale's old brigade, now under the command of Brig.- Gen. Humphries. On the night of the 19th, the battle of that day having given ___ possession of the river, these two brigades crossed the Chickamauaga, and on the morning of the 20th moved into position as a reserve to Hood's division. About 11 the latter became engaged, when Kershaw moved rapidly forward with Humphries on the left, passing through a thick wood and forming line under heavy fire. As the en emy threatened our right flank, Col. Hennegan, of the 8th South Carolina, was entrusted with the duty of defending that position. The firing at this time was severe and uninterrupted; the force in front largely out numbering our own, and the main demonstration was evidently towards our right. A portion of Hood's division had been pressed back temporarily, and the Federals were seeking to pursue their advantage. This was between 1 and 2 o'clock. Hood, in the midst of a heavy fire, was among his troops rallying them for another charge, when he received a ball in his thigh, and was borne from the field. Gen. Kershaw now promptly made his dispositions for renewing the attack.

The Federals were posted in the skirt of a wood on the opposite side of a field, probably eight hundred yards distant, with a fence intervening; their flanks concealed in the adjoining woods; their flags flaunting defiantly from no less than three points, and their forces apparently overlapping our own little band on either side. Kershaw, however, knew his veterans well and how far he could trust them, and determined to advance. Gen. Humphries was ordered to the support of our right. While the latter was in motion, Col. Hennegan, of the 8th, was directed to engage the enemy in his front and hold them in check until the arrival of the Mississippians. This being accomplished, bayonets were fixed, and nerves braced for a deadly struggle.
"Souls were sinewed for a glorious leap."
And with their battle yells ringing above the din of musketry, the whole line moved forward at a run. To Lieut.-Col. Gaillard, of the 2d South Carolina, Col. Kennedy not having arrived, was assigned the duty of attacking the Federal right flank.

Those who saw the sight describe it to me as a spectacle worth years of a man's lifetime to witness. The brigade in motion as one man, the discipline steady as on inspection drill, the enthusiasm almost wild, Kershaw and his staff on foot, their horses not having arrived, but everywhere their presence was required; the artillery ploughing the ground, and projectiles racing through the air, men dropping dead and wounded from the ranks, while their comrades pressed fearlessly on, passing deserted batteries and frightened Yankees; and finally before we had reached a point seventy-five yards distant from the Federal line, the enemy breaking into a disorderly retreat, and their pursuit from one line of hills to the other until brought to a stand on the third by their own reserves. Such was one of the handsomest achievements of the whole battle, and one which whenever you hear of South Carolina mentioned in connection with the battle, it is at once associated by the Western army with the name of Kershaw's brigade.
<To be continued>

Last edited:
<Continued from above. For those who might be reading along and wondering, I said in the previous post there was some interesting information in this account. Most of it appears as the account progresses. Be patient; it's a long one. :D >

The command halted only when checked by a murderous fire from a battalion of artillery in position on the heights. Sheltering the men as much as possible, Kershaw now awaited the arrival of Humphries on his right. Meanwhile Col. Hennegan, with the 8th [S.C. Infantry] had pursued the Federals so far that when the Mississippians came up they entered the broad interval between that regiment [8th SC] and the 15th [S.C. Infantry]; while the 15th Alabama Regiment, of Gen. Law's Brigade, occupied a position between the 7th and 15th South Carolina.

The firing on the right being renewed, the 3d, 2d and James' Battalion [3d SC Battn] again dashed forward, and at some points, gained the crest of the hill, within a few yards of the enemy's line, but after a fruitless yet gallant struggle, as obstinately made by the men as on the most stubbornly contested field of the war, batteries and musketry mowing down their ranks the while, these regiments were compelled to fall back two hundred and fifty yards, where Kershaw determined to remain until the arrival of reinforcements. The enemy advanced, but being met by a cool, deliberate fire, retired. Again they made a demonstration on the right, checking the movement of Humphries in that direction, and here for a short time the heat of the battle subsided.

About 3 o'clock, another Mississippi brigade, under Gen. [Patton] Anderson, arrived on the ground. Informed by Kershaw of the condition of affairs, it was determined to make another effort on the right flank of the enemy. Anderson advancing his skirmishers drove in those of the Federals. The main body of the latter in line of battle now raised a cheer, came on at a charge, and [Patton] Anderson's Brigade was pressed back in confusion. The Carolinians, however, undismayed by the reverse, now calling up their old enthusiasm, charged to the rescue. The 2d, 3d and James's Battalion [3d SC Battn], every one yelling at the top of his voice, and rushing on as fast as their legs could carry them, fell upon the enemy a second time; Anderson's brigade reformed and opened fire, and in fifteen minutes the Federals were flying before our triumphant boys. Again the crest of the hill was reached by the 2d South Carolina, but the troops on the left having fallen back, Lieut. Col. Gaillard was obliged to retire, although it was reluctantly done by the whole command. The remained of Kershaw's Brigade during this attack on the enemy's right were engaged in holding them in check in front.

As the day waned, two brigades, under command of Gens. [John H.] Kelly and [Archibald] Gracie, of Preston's Division, reported to Gen. Kershaw for orders, and were assigned to a position in rear of the Carolinians, with Kelly on Gracie's right. Soon after Gen. Hindman opened with his artillery on the right flank of the enemy, informing Kershaw, however, that his attack was not likely to succeed unless seconded by efforts in front. Gen. Kershaw thereupon determined to attack again, and formed a line composed of [Evander] McNair's Brigade [of Bushrod Johnson's division] (which had also arrived,) Gracie's, Kelly's, [Patton] Anderson's and his own, 8th, 15th and 2d Regiments (the remainder of the command having exhausted its ammunition,) advanced to the front. Desperate as had been the preceding attacks of the day, that which now followed outdid them all.

The line in magnificent order moved like a rolling wave; the men animated by the thought that upon the approaching struggle might depend the destinies of the day and the future of the Confederacy, viewed with each other in gallant bearing, while they moved steadily upon the bristling line of bayonets before them. Gracie's Alabama, for the first time under fire, behaved like veterans in the presence of brother soldiers who had been tried in the fire and not found wanting, while Kelly, Humphries, Anderson and McNair, inspiring a similar heroism in their own troops, left nothing wanting in that line of battle to accomplish success.

The attack which followed was furious. The thunder of artillery, the rattling diapason of musketry, the flashing of bursting bombs, scattering their imprisoned deaths on every hand, the shouts of the combatants, the roar of the echoes through the startled forests, the canopy of battle smoke, amid which were seen the dusty figures of men fiercely struggling for victory, the field officers here, there, everywhere animating their troops, and prominent among them all the keen gray-eyed imperturbable Kershaw, moving as cooly among the flying bullets aimed at his conspicuous uniform, as if he had a thousand lives to give his country -- such were some of the incidents of the closing hours of that memorable Sunday.

While I recall the scene even now after a lapse of four weeks, and from my hillside seat look down upon the camps around me -- the sound of hymns mingling with the busy chopping of the axes in the woods -- the smoke of ten thousand camp fires gently curling upward -- the men all peaceful -- the army at rest, and no thought of past or future -- it is difficult to realize that the sleeping monster has ever been lashed into fury, bathed in blood, and shaken with the mighty throes of battle. Yet it is even so, and the book of Fate will alone disclose when the terrible scene is to be re-enacted.

But, returning to the narrative, the struggle thus commenced continued until dark, without other than temporary advantages gained on either side. The enemy occupied a position on a mountain which was impregnable, and not withstanding the most determined efforts on the part of our troops to dislodge the foe -- and determination with them means all that men can do -- the attempt was abandoned, and again the battle rested. <to be continued>

<Continued from above>
Later in the evening, Gen. Robinson [sic; Jerome B. Robertson] with the seven brigades of Hood's Division, was sent forward to picket in our front, and at 10 o'clock information was received that the enemy had retreated. The night was spent in caring for the wounded, burying the dead and gathering arms. The next morning Lieut. Col. Gaillard's regiment [2nd SC] was sent forward to take possession of the Federal hospitals and that portion of the abandoned fields.

Maj.-Gen. McLaws arrived during the afternoon, and assumed command of the division. That night Gens. Kershaw and Wofford were ordered to advance, which they did, driving the enemy, with but small loss to us, into their present stronghold at Chattanooga.

The captures by Kershaw's Brigade during the battle were nine pieces of artillery, three of which were taken by the 8th South Carolina Regiment, and several caissons with ammunition. The number of men carried into the fight [Kershaw's brigade] was thirteen hundred, out of whom upwards of five hundred were killed and wounded -- a bloody, but a truthful tribute to the veteran command.
1640484457736.png

Lt Col Elbert Bland, 7th South Carolina
Lieut.-Col. Elbert Bland, of the 7th South Carolina, fell at the head of his regiment. A few moments later, the next succeeding commander, Maj. John S. [Stewart] Hard* -- the "boy soldier" of the army was instantly killed. The command of the regiment then devolved upon Capt. J. [Jerry] Goggans [E/7thSC]. Capt. J. M. Townsend, of James' Battalion [aka 3d SC Battn.], was killed in front of his men while leading a charge on the enemy's stronghold.
1640484263033.png

Lt Col Axalla John Hoole, 8th South Carolina
Lieut.-Col. [Axalla John] Hoole, of the 8th South Carolina, was also killed in the early part of the action. The names of killed and wounded have already been published.

How true are the words of Gerald Massey, speaking of dead heroes:
Mound on mound they rise all o'er
The land to bar a Tyrant's path, and make his feet.
To stumble like the blind man among tombs.
Our brave dead make our earth heroic dust;
Their spirits glitter in our country's face
And make her shine a star in blackest night
Calm at her heart and glory round her head.**
1640485418054.png

William Moultrie Dwight, Inspector General, ADC on Kershaw's staff
The staff present with Gen. Kershaw on the occasion were Capt. C. R. Holmes***, assistant adjutant general; Capt. Moultrie Dwight****, inspector general, A.D.C.; and Lieut. Hugh [L.] Farley, A. D. C., acting in the place of Lieut. A. E. Doby***** who was on furlough -- all of whom acted with a spirit becoming the occasion and the presence of their brave chief.

Lieut. Farley, for his gallantry, was detailed to carry the twenty-five captured flags to Richmond, in company with four privates from other commands, who had signalized themselves during the battle; but I confess it with shame that on arriving at the capital of the Confederacy to present these standards to the Government --- trophies for which thousands had poured out their blood -- for which men had fought like heroes of old, and triumphed -- instead of being received as the representatives of the army, and a dignity given to the occasion worthy of the achievement, the flags were ignominiously tumbled into a dirt cart and driven b y a negro to the department, where they now remain forgotten and ignored. The brave men who bore them were not received.

Had such an event occurred in Europe, the city to which such trophies went would have been ablaze with light and enthusiasm; but unfortunately we are a very practical people, and it seems to be enough that our ragged boys in the field shall suffer and die to accomplish great results while well dressed and comfortable officials enjoy the benefit, forget their benefactors and hide the deed.

The expedition of Wheeler has not been a success. Several bridges have been burned, which the enemy repaired nearly as soon as destroyed, and several hundred wagons captured and burned. The loss in men and horses, however, is understood to be great. I give you the facts as I received them from one who heard a portion of the official report read, vouching for nothing.

All is quiet in front and there are no indications on the part of the Federal army, of our own. The weather is not settled, but the sunshine once more glimmers among the autumn tapestry, and Heaven's bright break of blue begins to smile the storm away. -- PERSONNE******

[Source: Originally published in the Charleston Courier, October 24, 1863; reprinted in the Anderson Intelligencer. (Anderson Court House, SC), January 18, 1883, page 1.]

Notes:
* Born 2 Dec 1842, Maj. John Stewart Hard, of the 7th South Carolina Infantry, was 20 years old when he was killed at Chickamauga.
** Excerpt from Havelock's March, Gerald Massey, circa 1859.
*** Capt C R Holmes was Charles Rutledge Holmes. He originally enlisted at age 25 as a Lieut. in I/2ndSC.
**** Capt Moultrie Dwight was William Moultrie Dwight. He was later captured at Spottsylvania and imprisoned at Fort Delaware until the close of the war.
***** Capt. A. E. Doby was Alfred E. Doby. He had served as Kershaw's aide-de-camp from the beginning of the war. Doby was killed by friendly fire May 6, 1864 at the Wilderness during the same incident that resulted in General James Longstreet's serious wounding. Of Alfred E. Doby, Kershaw wrote: "...Captain Doby had served with me as aide-de-camp from the commencement of the war. He distinguished himself upon every battlefield, and always rendered me the most intelligent and valuable assistance in the most trying hour."
****** "Personne" was the pen-name of Felix Gregory de Fontaine (1832-1896). He was a prolific war correspondent of the
Charleston Courier.

Back