Kentucky to Virginia

pvt gauss

Cadet
Is this Eastern? Prestonburg 10/61, Ivy Mountain 11/61, Mill Creek1/62 ??.

All these actions took place in S/E KY. Although all the reb troops were forced through pound gap into S/W Virginia. Does this count as an western action or an Eastern manuver???

I'd say Western. Remember it's all confusing and the Army of Tennessee was chased through the Carolinas. That's pretty "east" if you ask me but Departments were always changing on both sides during the war.

OK, they really weren't chased. They moved from Mississippi and after regrouping, went to North Carolina.

That's the part of the war on which I'm trying to focus as part of an ongoing saga of the 63rd Virginia. Information is scarce and is in bits and pieces. I believe the army generally went from Tupelo to Meridian then east to Demopolis and Selma to Montgomery and on northeast to Macon, Milledgeville and Augusta. Hence to Orangeburg, Columbia and Charlotte before catching trains to Raleigh and to Smithfield and Bentonville. Any good sources you might have on any of the activities in these locations would be most appreciated. The OR seems to cover Bentonville pretty well. Sherman's notes talk about some of the South Carolina skirmishes. Georgia data is apparently a bit scarce. It was interesting to me at least that most of these mentioned locatons were Confederate arsenals of one sort or another and must have had some resident manpower. The Confederates weren't moving completely in the dark, though perhaps on one leg.

Back