"Kentucky Rising"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
"Kentucky Rising" is Dr. James Ramage and his daughter, Andrea S. Watkins, newest book published by The University Press of Kentucky. It is excellent and I highly recommend it."Kentucky Rising" starts with Henry Clay and ends with Abraham Lincoln. It is the period between the two that makes this book so important. The authors discuss "the art and architecture, culture and cholera, social life and steamboats, politics and the press, slavery and antislavery, war and peace, Union and the Confederacy and much more" in Kentucky during these eras.

The first settlers to Kentucky were strong-willed and keen minded pioneers who brought with them a sense of rising hope about the future and a dedication to democracy. They were determined to transform the frontier into a network of communities that could play a role in the progress of science, education, transportation, and trade. They were dedicated to the new Republic. Kentucky emerged as a model of patriotism and military spirit. They enthusiastically supported the War of 1812. This era was one of great optimism and progress.

In the years before the Civil War, Kentucky was perceived as a leader among the states and uniquely engaged in public affairs. At a time when most states required citizens to own property in order to vote, Kentucky's first constitution had no such restrictions. Kentuckians considered the right to vote to be sacred, and election turnout frequently exceeded 70 %.

A strong belief in democracy was also evident in Kentuckians' fervent participation in mass public meetings, where they voiced support or protest of local and national causes. Because of Kentucky's fierce independence and love of debate, Union commanders feared that the Confederate war of proclamations might inspire public rallies that would take the state out of the Union.

The authors offer a valuable new perspective on an era marked not only by cultural and political advancement but also by the discord of slavery and war. "This book explores a crucial period in the commonwealth's history and confirms Kentucky's illustrious legacy."

"Kentucky Rising" is Dr. James Ramage and his daughter, Andrea S. Watkins, newest book published by The University Press of Kentucky. It is excellent and I highly recommend it."Kentucky Rising" starts with Henry Clay and ends with Abraham Lincoln. It is the period between the two that makes this book so important. The authors discuss "the art and architecture, culture and cholera, social life and steamboats, politics and the press, slavery and antislavery, war and peace, Union and the Confederacy and much more" in Kentucky during these eras.

The first settlers to Kentucky were strong-willed and keen minded pioneers who brought with them a sense of rising hope about the future and a dedication to democracy. They were determined to transform the frontier into a network of communities that could play a role in the progress of science, education, transportation, and trade. They were dedicated to the new Republic. Kentucky emerged as a model of patriotism and military spirit. They enthusiastically supported the War of 1812. This era was one of great optimism and progress.

In the years before the Civil War, Kentucky was perceived as a leader among the states and uniquely engaged in public affairs. At a time when most states required citizens to own property in order to vote, Kentucky's first constitution had no such restrictions. Kentuckians considered the right to vote to be sacred, and election turnout frequently exceeded 70 %.

A strong belief in democracy was also evident in Kentuckians' fervent participation in mass public meetings, where they voiced support or protest of local and national causes. Because of Kentucky's fierce independence and love of debate, Union commanders feared that the Confederate war of proclamations might inspire public rallies that would take the state out of the Union.

The authors offer a valuable new perspective on an era marked not only by cultural and political advancement but also by the discord of slavery and war. "This book explores a crucial period in the commonwealth's history and confirms Kentucky's illustrious legacy."
Excellent review, donna. This sounds like one for the TBR stack. Thanks.

DSC05007.JPG

From the title I thought maybe it should've been about THIS place! (Old Fort Harrod at Harrodsburg)

A book I recommend on Ky. before War.

Another book for all things concerning Kentucky history is The Kentucky Encyclopedia. I bought 2 copies when it was published back in 1993. Everything from the formation of the state, to the Native-Americans that first occupied it, and also entries about the less well known family feuds.

http://www.kyenc.org/

Have that book for my son and grandkids. It is a great book. An older one I have that got from library sale is "Kentucky Yesterday and Today. It is from 1962.

If only...I had waited for the internet Donna, I coulda saved $60 plus bucks. :banghead: :D.

But it is a pleasure in my hands to read, and I sincerely hope one or more of your grand-kids appreciate your saving such history for them. :smile:

Obi

Since my entire family and I are from Ky, I would like to purchase the books mentioned above. I have never delved into Ky's history only heard about it from my parents (I was raised in northeastern Ohio). My youngest brother has recently begun to become interested in our family's history and he has sparked my interest. Does any one know of another place these books can be purchased besides Amazon?

Since my entire family and I are from Ky, I would like to purchase the books mentioned above. I have never delved into Ky's history only heard about it from my parents (I was raised in northeastern Ohio). My youngest brother has recently begun to become interested in our family's history and he has sparked my interest. Does any one know of another place these books can be purchased besides Amazon?

For this one Anna, try,

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/th...MIwtvz4Ne64wIVh5-fCh31PgvaEAQYASABEgKDAvD_BwE

https://www.abebooks.com/Kentucky-E...MIwtvz4Ne64wIVh5-fCh31PgvaEAQYBSABEgJp0vD_BwE

There are several you can find on Archive.org like the History of Kentucky and some other county-specific histories. These are all free that can be read on the site or downloaded in a variety of formats.

Back