Kentucky Derby Hats for Ladies

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
1620052996974.png

One of the oldest traditions of the Kentucky Derby is high fashion, including ladies' hats. In England for the races the royals and their guest always wore their finest clothes. It was required that ladies wear hats.

When Col. Meriwether Lewis Clark Jr. (founder of the Derby) started the race in 1875, he mandated full morning dress for men and women. This included hats for women. As time passed, the Kentucky Derby became a tradition to show off the latest Spring fashions. By the 1960s the hats became larger, brighter and very extravagant.

There are pictures of the newest hats available on the web. There are expensive ones and not so expensive one. Their are straw hats and very elaborate hats with veils.

The only mandate is that a lady must wear a hat to the Kentucky Derby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine for Saturday. I am not going to Derby but to luncheon of my chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. I wear a smaller hat as I am short and large hats just not good on me. It is straw hat with ribbons.

Always have Hot Brown on that day. Place we have lunch has good Hot Browns.

Lori I love that hat. Know would look great on you.

Not to be outdone by my friend, @LoriAnn, I have also selected a couple hats for the Derby. I have always said, "Go big or go home," so that lends itself to the first option, but I have been told I look good in red. What do you think? @nitrofd I really need your opinion. Of course, I have also selected one for Traveller. What do you think @donna? It would be fun to see what some other folks would pick. Join in if you're in the mood. Hint, hint @Cavalry Charger and @FarawayFriend.

Derby Hat.jpg Derby Hat 2.jpg Derby Hat Horse.jpg

Last edited:
Not to be outdone by my friend, @LoriAnn, I have also selected a couple hats for the Derby. I have always said, "Go big or go home," so that lends itself to the first option, but I have been told I look good in red. What do you think? @nitrofd I really need your opinion. Of course, I have also selected one for Traveller. What do you think @donna? It would be fun to see what some other folks would pick. Join in if you're in the mood. Hint, hint @Cavalry Charger and @FarawayFriend.

View attachment 135279 View attachment 135280 View attachment 135281
Red on you is very provocative.:inlove:

View attachment 135279 View attachment 135280 View attachment 135281
Red on you is very provocative.:inlove:

Okay this thread has consumed me! I can't stop looking at these outrageous hats. I just couldn't resist picking out a few more for my fellow posters. I promise I'll stop! :giggle:

@Bee - I mean it just calls out your name!
Bee2.jpg

@Anna Elizabeth Henry - I love your posts in Civil War Foods so...
Food.jpg

@LoriAnn - I love the one you picked out, but just consider this one.
Lori Ann.jpg

Any takers for this one because...? Just because!
What.jpg

Back