Kentucky Bourbon

Old "Jack D."--I used to drink. At a liquor store in Seattle, they had a 7-foot tall plaster statue of Jack Daniel. They were going out of business, so I asked if I could buy it. The old woman said to just "take it"--so I did. I painted the all-white statue in a gray coat with white shirt, etc. and then hired a local artist to do the face. It looks so real, in my basement, my dog still does a double-take sometimes! :confused::dog:

But Shermie wasn't a Southern Gentleman! He was a Northern Gentleman who knew enough to keep his bottle out of another's hands. To the victor, go the spoils! :roflmao:

Lol! Breckinridge was highly offended and called Sherman a pig! Johnston disagreed, said he was just distracted. I suppose Sherman knew better than to keep the bottle passing while they were fixing up a surrender deal - he got in enough trouble with the one they figured out sober! :laugh:

I thought the Honey Jack Daniels was really good! Not a big whiskey drinker, far more partial to beer, but a little of that on the rocks & I was doing just fine thank you! :smile:
Just picked up a JD Honey Whiskey flask at my local liquor store for $3.99 so I HAD to get some. Jack Daniels was usually my winter drink (when I could afford it).

Of course, this is Wiki, so take it on those terms.
Scroll down to "legal requirements"

Incidentally, bottle hunting was a hobby of many back in the day. Whiskey bottles were the prime ones, especially ones that would turn purple, green or blue in the sunlight. We were always going over the dumps of old mining claims and ghost towns - turned up everything from Chinese jugs and opium bottles to soda and whiskey bottles. There were so many a lot of them were used for target practice - now it's very rare to find any intact, or any at all.

For Kentucky, Bourbon is King. It began in Kentucky in the 1700s with the first settlers. Farmers learned that converting corn and other grains to whiskey made them easily transportable. Since that time, Kentuckians have continued the heritage and time honored tradition of making bourbon. The process has remained unchanged.

How did Bourbon get its name? One of Kentucky's original counties was Bourbon County, which was established in 1785 when Kentucky was still a part of Virginia. Farmers shipped their whiskey in oak barrels, stamped Bourbon County, down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans. The long trip aged the whiskey, with the oak wood giving it the distinct mellow flavor and amber color. Soon whiskey from Bourbon County grew in popularity and became known as Bourbon whiskey.

In 1964, Congress officially recognized Bourbon's place in history and declared it a distinctive product of the United States. In Kentucky they call it "America's Official Native Spirit".

Today Bourbon is a significant industry in Kentucky with many distilleries. People now come as tourist to take the Bourbon Trail. It is stated that 2.5 millon visitors from all 50 states and 25 countries have take the Bourbon Trail in the last 5 years.

The Bourbon Trail was started in 1999 by the Kentucky Distillers' Association. There are now eight distillers on the official trail. They include Four Roses, Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, Town Branch, and Evan Williams.

Thank god those farmers were looking for a way to transport corn!

Bringing this thread up as was question in Food Trivia Questions thread. Know the Bourbon was enjoyed at the Kentucky Oaks and the Kentucky Derby and at all other parties for that week in Louisville.

When I have an occasional whiskey I would normally stick to Irish whiskey in particular Red Breast 12 year old is amazing. I recently seen a travel show and one of the stops was in a whiskey distillery in Kentucky. It was the Brown-Forman distillery , I loved the bottle of Woodford Reserve I tried. It was an excellent whiskey. After trying that I would be more open to trying other types of whiskey except peated whiskey I can’t stand the taste of it.

When I have an occasional whiskey I would normally stick to Irish whiskey in particular Red Breast 12 year old is amazing. I recently seen a travel show and one of the stops was in a whiskey distillery in Kentucky. It was the Brown-Forman distillery , I loved the bottle of Woodford Reserve I tried. It was an excellent whiskey. After trying that I would be more open to trying other types of whiskey except peated whiskey I can’t stand the taste of it.
Woodford is excellent but mate no peat? All those great scotch whiskies you are missing!

Back