Kennesaw Mountain: Sherman, Johnston, and the Atlanta Campaign

http://www.amazon.com/Kennesaw-Mountain-Sherman-Johnston-Campaign/dp/1469602113/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373315205&sr=1-2&keywords=atlanta campaign

Has anyone read this book yet? I've been looking for some books on the Atlanta Campaign and Kennesaw Mountain specifically, ran across this and thought I'd see if anyone had read it. Hoping to make a trip up for the 150th anniversary next year so wanted to get some early reading under way.

Not this particular book, but I've read several other books by Earl Hess (Civil War in the West, Pea Ridge, and Banners to the Breeze) and have been quite pleased with his scholarship and writing ability. I plan to buy another book of his, Into the Crater, when the price comes down a bit.

I've read (and own) three of Hess' other books Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West (co-author William L Shea); Lee's Tarheels: The Pettigrew - Kirkland - MacRae Brigade and Pickett's Charge: The Last Attack at Gettysburg and found them to be well done.

Another book to add to the list, wife is going to kill me.... :smile:

Has anyone read this book yet? I've been looking for some books on the Atlanta Campaign and Kennesaw Mountain specifically, ran across this and thought I'd see if anyone had read it. Hoping to make a trip up for the 150th anniversary next year so wanted to get some early reading under way.

No, but I just finished a good history of the July 22 Battle of Atlanta, The Day Dixie Died by Gary Ecelbarger ( 2010 ). It's a great analysis of the pivotal and largest battle of the entire campaign. The downsides of it are there's precious little about the rest of the campaign; and of course other than the Atlanta Cyclorama, almost nothing remains to be seen today.

I've been eyeing that one as well. Any reviews?

I have his Pea Ridge which is excellent and Knoxville Campaign which, of course, I have not yet read.

I finished it a few weeks ago. Excellent history of the battle. Maps leave much to be desired though.

Back