CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
51vgRcyNIDL._SL160_.jpg

Kennesaw Mountain: Sherman, Johnston, and the Atlanta Campaign
, by Earl J. Hess

Chapel Hill: The University
icon1.png
of North Carolina Press, 2013. Pp. xviii, 322. Illus., maps, diagr., appends., notes, biblio., index. $35.00. ISBN: 1469602113.

The case for Joe Johnston's Stand at Kennesaw Mountain

In this work, Prof. Hess (Lincoln Memorial University) argues effectively that Joe Johnston’s stand at Kennesaw Mountain in June - July 1864 “might have been the Confederates’ best chance to halt the Federal drive toward Atlanta.” Hess opens with a concise introductory chapter covering events from early May through mid-June. This is followed by a chapter on the opening clash in the Battle of Kolb’s Farm (June 22), which Hess views as critical in shaping all subsequent events. In the seven chapters that follow, he examines the events that culminated in Sherman’s ouster, at considerable cost, of Johnston’s army from its positions though a combination of fighting and maneuver by the end of June 27th. Despite Sherman’s heavier casualties (c. 3,000 to c. 1,000), Hess views the battle as Union strategic victory, albeit a tactical defeat,

Hess examines the thought processes of both generals to help explain their decisions during these operations, the condition of their troops, which was generally good on both sides, and then discusses how the events shaped subsequent developments in the theatre. As he does so, Hess often gives us interesting little portraits of some of the men involved, and a number of very good battle pieces. He ends the work with a look at what can be learned by an examination of the current state of the battle site.

A volume in the UNC Press series “Civil War America,” Kennesaw Mountain makes a valuable contribution to the history of the war in the West and will also be of use to anyone interested in the problem of generalship in the Civil War.

Note: Kennesaw Mountain is also available as an e-book, ISBN 978-1-4696-0212-7

---///--- Reviewer: A. A. Nofi, Review Editor

http://www.strategypage.com/bookreviews/1086.asp

Looks like an interesting book. I tend to give additional credence to items published by the UNC Press, so I'll probably be buying this

Looks like an interesting book. I tend to give additional credence to items published by the UNC Press, so I'll probably be buying this
If UNCP published it, it is well worth reading. Two others are LSUP and Savas Beattie.

Believe it or not, I just ordered this book last night. It has been on my wishlist for sometime. The problem is that is I live in Ireland and we don't have our own Amazon, we must use Amazon.co.uk. I love the Amazon Market place in the States but we almost exclusively have to buy items directly from Amazon and not the market place. Most of the time if we try to order from the market place, we get a little note saying that the item can not be shipped to our address. The Market Place vendor has to have his account set up just right. I have even found books shipped from the US to the UK on the market place and could not buy them either because of the same message. There were three books I wanted to present and I have been keeping my eye on them at Amazon.co.uk. Yesterday, a new copy of this book showed up at a reasonable price. So I tried to buy it and it actually let me!!! I will not get the book until the first week in Sept. though.

Believe it or not, I just ordered this book last night. It has been on my wishlist for sometime. The problem is that is I live in Ireland and we don't have our own Amazon, we must use Amazon.co.uk. I love the Amazon Market place in the States but we almost exclusively have to buy items directly from Amazon and not the market place. Most of the time if we try to order from the market place, we get a little note saying that the item can not be shipped to our address. The Market Place vendor has to have his account set up just right. I have even found books shipped from the US to the UK on the market place and could not buy them either because of the same message. There were three books I wanted to present and I have been keeping my eye on them at Amazon.co.uk. Yesterday, a new copy of this book showed up at a reasonable price. So I tried to buy it and it actually let me!!! I will not get the book until the first week in Sept. though.

Have you tried Abe's Books ? I have had much success ordering books published and distributed in the UK and having them sent to the US. Just a suggestion. Don't know if it will work for you.

Last edited:
Have you tried Abe's' Books ? I have had much success ordering books published and distributed in the UK and having them sent to the US. Just a suggestion. Don't know if it will work for you.
That's been my suppler for years, and it's abebooks. Just google it. Many bookstores in the UK are included.

I just finished a book about the battle at Kennesaw Mt. and I was with an event that occurred where the Federals had been repulsed and were beating feet back to their line when a Confederate officer exposed himself and shouted to the Federals to return and aid their wounded as the brush where their wounded had fallen was on fire. An informal truce occurred where men of both sides did what they could to save the wounded Federals from the fire and neither side fired on the other.

It isn't that a truce was declared by both Generals via a written request delivered by and to officers under a white flag but this was a truce with no time for correspondence between the Generals of both armies but a spontaneous act of kindness between soldiers of opposite sides who just a short while ago were doing their best to kill one another.

Thanks 28th and Ole for the tip. I just had a look at Abebooks.uk for the other two books on my list. Both come in hard cover and paper back....Me and paper backs just don't get on well as I travel so much, they usually don't last long. They have one of the two books in Hard Cover and at a very reasonable price...I'll have to keep my eye out on this site. The other book they only have in Paper Back is looks like as the Hard Cover option on the filter is grayed out...out well. I'll keep looking.

I just finished a book about the battle at Kennesaw Mt. and I was with an event that occurred where the Federals had been repulsed and were beating feet back to their line when a Confederate officer exposed himself and shouted to the Federals to return and aid their wounded as the brush where their wounded had fallen was on fire. An informal truce occurred where men of both sides did what they could to save the wounded Federals from the fire and neither side fired on the other.

It isn't that a truce was declared by both Generals via a written request delivered by and to officers under a white flag but this was a truce with no time for correspondence between the Generals of both armies but a spontaneous act of kindness between soldiers of opposite sides who just a short while ago were doing their best to kill one another.

"After the fighting, Confederate Lt. Col. William Martin called for a truce so that the Federals could retrieve their wounded in front of the Confederate works; the dry brush had caught fire and some men were burning to death. Recent scholarship suggests Martin's motives were not entirely humanitarian. During the truce, he hoped the Confederates would gather up Yankee rifles under the white flag and save the abatis in front of his works from burning up." (http://www.civilwar.org/battlefield...-mountain-history-articles/cheatham-hill.html)

I recall reading in one account that the Federal troops gave Martin a brace of Colt revolvers for his actions, but I may be recollecting incorrectly. Below is a period Waud sketch of the activity during the truce.

Expired Image Removed

Reactions: Lee
Back