Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield, Georgia

My comment about the Illinois monument stems from my recalling Sam Watkins description of the battle, while looking at the actual area for the first time. I was thinking it would have been nicer to have the monument in front of the Confederate lines more lower down, designed more with the "lay of the land", just an opinion I had at the time that still sticks with me.

Back a century or more ago when most of the monuments were erected here and elsewhere across the country those doing so were more concerned about commemorating events rather than site preservation which was less important then than now when every square inch seems threatened by McDonalds, Walmarts, and other developments and "progress". I'm reminded of Oriskany Battlefield in upstate New York's Mohawk Valley where the entire Patriot hilltop defense site was leveled and graded for the erection of a huge obelisk which effectively destroyed any original appearance the area may have retained.

Back a century or more ago when most of the monuments were erected here and elsewhere across the country those doing so were more concerned about commemorating events rather than site preservation which was less important then than now when every square inch seems threatened by McDonalds, Walmarts, and other developments and "progress". I'm reminded of Oriskany Battlefield in upstate New York's Mohawk Valley where the entire Patriot hilltop defense site was leveled and graded for the erection of a huge obelisk which effectively destroyed any original appearance the area may have retained.

Also in regards to the position of them monument the land and monument were purchased by the 125th Illinois veterans. I assume they picked the most prominent spot. I'm actually surprised they didn't plant it in the middle of the angle on top of the trenches.
@CheathamHill has done a ton of research on that regiment, the battle, and the memorial...

OUCH!

Kevin Dally

OUCH!

Kevin Dally

The State Park is still worth visiting for anyone with an interest in Revolutionary history. The hilltop with the monument was where colonial militia under General Nicholas Herkimer ( who received a mortal wound ) made their successful stand against the Tories and Iroquois of Joseph Brant but the battle began as an ambush of their marching column in a nearby ravine which maintains its wild and tangled character.

Cool shot. Looks like three reinforced cannon embrasures, and just to the left of what looks like a shutter, the top of the parapet and log appears to have maybe been struck by an enemy solid shot.
Also all the trees closest to the works seem to be dead and torn by bullets and shrapnel. I am not exactly sure when the photo was taken, but if those trees were there at the time of the battle I am surprised they were not stumped for clear fields of fire and creation of abatis, earthworks, etc.

The sign for Kennesaw Mt, is off I 75. We drive 75 all the way to Florida. We try to stop at historic park, museum or site on each trip down. We don't have a lot of time, of course depending on traffic. Last time we stopped at Resaca.

kennesaw_pic.jpg

Thanks to @Buckeye Bill so I didn't have to *bump* this up myself this time!

The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia occurred on this day in 1864. This battle was part of the Atlanta Campaign of the American Civil War. It was the most significant frontal assault launched by Federal Major General William T. Sherman against the Confederate Army of Tennessee under the command of General Joseph E. Johnston. This battle ended in a tactical defeat for the Federal army. Strategically, however, the battle failed to deliver the result that the Confederacy desperately needed—namely a halt to Sherman's advance on the city of Atlanta, Georgia.

FB_IMG_1530098827886.jpg

Thanks for the bump. Great pictures and descriptions. Using Battlefield maps and Google road view i think I can see where the 19th Ohio was during the battle. Not in the park itself, they were just west of the park and south of the Dallas road; Knefler's (Sam Beatty's) Brigade Wood's Division. Being third in line they had no casualties. Road view shows a rather open, undeveloped area as of 2019. I wonder if it is walkable (private property).

We did stop on one of our trips. Enjoyed it so much. So glad we did since now live permanently in Florida. Be a while before we go on any trips. Hope this virus gets better. No one wants you if you from Florida now. It just best to stay put. Also concerned with all the unrest in places.

Back