Ken Burns...and Quilts!

https://www.paducah.travel/quilting/national-quilt-museum/

To me quilts are for using not to look at. Even very old ones. The prices on way down on them right now. I see them sold at least once a week. They can be colorful, and have beautiful designs. When buying anything never ever buy the story. You can later incorporate the story. Never buy anything unless it is real. A lot of stories are used with fake items or even reproductions, and age can be faked easily, if the person is good enough you will even know it. I still use quilts. The National Quilt museum is located in Paducah, Ky.
I think that interest and prices are down for antique things in general. Not just collectibles found in antique shops, malls and shows but family heirlooms as well. It seems to be generational, not just in my own family but really in all the other families we are friends with. And that’s fine, they’re just movin’ on and doing what pleases them. For us though it means that we’ve got some serious planning to do as how to best dispose of all this stuff.

@AshleyMel nice thread; enjoyed the video, too. Fascinating about Ken Burns' interest in quilts; nice that he shared them with the public.

Quilts remind me of my Grandma McDowell, who made quilts, had one of those big looms that stood up against the living room wall in her apartment. It seemed huge at the time, but I was just a little kid, so I may be overstating it's size. I had a pink one that she made, one of the only things I had of hers, which got damaged years ago and couldn't be repaired. Will have to remember to stop by one of the quilt shops, should I ever make my way out East one of these days.

@AshleyMel nice thread; enjoyed the video, too. Fascinating about Ken Burns' interest in quilts; nice that he shared them with the public.

Quilts remind me of my Grandma McDowell, who made quilts, had one of those big looms that stood up against the living room wall in her apartment. It seemed huge at the time, but I was just a little kid, so I may be overstating it's size. I had a pink one that she made, one of the only things I had of hers, which got damaged years ago and couldn't be repaired. Will have to remember to stop by one of the quilt shops, should I ever make my way out East one of these days.

Thank you Tracy. I also think it is just wonderful for Mr. Burns to share his quilts with the public in this display. Such a personal thing to do! I wish I was able to attend the showing!

It's also wonderful that you have the memory of your Grandmother McDowell's quilt! Such a pity it was damaged beyond restoration! My sewing teacher does quilt repair and it can be very time consuming and is quite costly.

Back